Can slac rock or lime stone rock be used in a reef system

justintime

Originally Posted by King_Neptune
http:///forum/post/3137951
for fantastic base rock that is cheap google
marco rocks
I got 50lbs of this stuff for $100+35 shipping.
AMAZING AMAZING rock!! I absolutely highly recommend it.
I got one piece a little larger than a basketball. 4-5 the size of coconuts. And about a dozen baseball sized pieces.
Do note that I got a sharp spike in my salinity when I ordered it. This was because when they dry it you still have salt coating the rocks lightly. But the next day I added a bit of RO water and it went down immediately and stayed.
The large piece is loaded with lots of swimming caves, and rests nicely on the bottom and allows for my engineer goby to dig tunnels all around its base safely.

So do you want some to

Wow what an interesting thread that I started. I agree with all of you on this if just wanting to add for building height it is a good thing. I had no idea if it could be used and responding to someone without knowing is a gamble that I would not want to take. I know here in Florida, all this rock is more coral then anything else you can look at it and see fossilized shells and corals. That too makes you think this stuff is coming from as deep as 300 feet below sea level and yet there is life that the sea was there at one point how do you think that is. Lets keep this going. My tank is not stocked with it but I also agree if I started over it would have been allot more economically affordable to use it stock for height. I also looked up what this rock cost here locally get this for a TON 2000 lbs $45.00 and $20.00 for delivery within 50 miles. It is not the prettiest stuff to look at but at that price it's insane.

justintime

Originally Posted by crazyreefnut
http:///forum/post/3138813
Wow what an interesting thread that I started. I agree with all of you on this if just wanting to add for building height it is a good thing. I had no idea if it could be used and responding to someone without knowing is a gamble that I would not want to take. I know here in Florida, all this rock is more coral then anything else you can look at it and see fossilized shells and corals. That too makes you think this stuff is coming from as deep as 300 feet below sea level and yet there is life that the sea was there at one point how do you think that is. Lets keep this going. My tank is not stocked with it but I also agree if I started over it would have been allot more economically affordable to use it stock for height. I also looked up what this rock cost here locally get this for a TON 2000 lbs $45.00 and $20.00 for delivery within 50 miles. It is not the prettiest stuff to look at but at that price it's insane.

send pictures
if what you are saying is true than the rock you are calling limestone is aragonite. and if you are in florida than put some in the ocean and go collect it 2-4 months . I do something simalair with aragocrete but i put it a fresh steam after some time with run water it does not give off any thing. but with you and the ocean you get all the good stuff with it two. i have to wash it and then put it out in the sun. base rock is aragonite but it is dead so you just have to scub it (power wash) put it in your tank and if you have some seed rocks after time its all the same.

Originally Posted by justintime
http:///forum/post/3139118
send pictures
if what you are saying is true than the rock you are calling limestone is aragonite. and if you are in florida than put some in the ocean and go collect it 2-4 months . I do something simalair with aragocrete but i put it a fresh steam after some time with run water it does not give off any thing. but with you and the ocean you get all the good stuff with it two. i have to wash it and then put it out in the sun. base rock is aragonite but it is dead so you just have to scub it (power wash) put it in your tank and if you have some seed rocks after time its all the same.

All this rock comes from limestone quarries. As for putting it in the ocean I would if I live near the water but I am inland and to place it there and risk it not being there I think would be risky at best. Also in Florida you are not allowed to take rock from the ocean. There are also limitations on livestock. I will try to get a piece and post a pic. I do not have any as I stated earlier I was asked this question about this rock and had no idea if it could be used. I told my friend yes and he bought about 100 lbs. for about $7.00 it is kinda cool looking stuff it has holes and you can see shells fossils and on one piece it had a coral fossil.

ophiura

MOst of that rock is basically fossilized coral reef type rock. Much of what we used is coral reef type rock. Therefore...it can be used, and is the best of all the "dead" rock you can buy cheaply. It is very frequently used here in Texas (because it is very common - called holey rock here). Cheap foundation work with higher quality LR used as "facing" stone.

pbnj

I use some limestone in my tank.
I used it as a base and I stacked my liverock on top. I've never had an issue with PH, so it might be helping in that area as well.
Try to avoid pieces with and orange/red tint as they may contain more metals/minerals.

devaji108

Ah yes...I remember buying 50+ lbs of this stuff for my very first reef tank years ago...but it came from hawaii.
however I would personaly make my own DIY base lock. you can get the shapes and sizes that you want + it's 100x more porous. and it still pretty cheap.
just my 2cents
have fun and happy reefing!
cheers

At 2 1/4 cents a pound how could you go wrong? I just think that it is crazy because we in the hobby sometime need to get back to the basics and realize that some things in this hobby are cheap, this being one of them... I hope that this thread helps someone..

Just wanted to add I am planning to make a lagoon system and I will be buying this for sure. I am even going to make a water fall on it and I figure one ton at 45 bucks may just be enough and if not I will buy two tons... lol at that price I could do 3 tons and pay the 20 bucks have it delivered..