Can someone explain my lighting to me? Please?

michaud65

I have a Coralife light with (2) 65-watt 50/50 light bulbs. Can someone please explain what that means and what kind of light I have. This is on a 29gallon. My lfs assured me that I could have anything in my tank with this set-up but after reading this forum, I am not convinced. Please help me!

grumpygils

Originally Posted by Michaud65
I have a Coralife light with (2) 65-watt 50/50 light bulbs. Can someone please explain what that means and what kind of light I have. This is on a 29gallon. My lfs assured me that I could have anything in my tank with this set-up but after reading this forum, I am not convinced. Please help me!

I had the same set up on a 29. I added another 65W strip for a total of 195W and have clams. When I had only 130W on it, the clams seemed to be over extended and stretching for more light (not good). 50/50 is 1/2 white, 1/2 actinic (blue). IMO with those lights, you have to stay away from SPS, clams and light intensive anenomes. Softies will do fine. Zoos, mushrooms, leathers, frogspawn, most bubble and most LPS will do ok.
Mc

michaud65

Thank you! Your tank is beautiful! Can I ask you how you "added" the other strip? You used the Coralife plus an additional strip? How would I go about doing that?

grumpygils

Originally Posted by Michaud65
Thank you! Your tank is beautiful! Can I ask you how you "added" the other strip? You used the Coralife plus an additional strip? How would I go about doing that?
I don't use the back legs on the coralife, it rest a little on top of my filter/skimmer. so it only covers 3/4ths of the width of the tank. This gives room for the 4 inch wide strip to sit righ next to it. Make sense?
Mc