can these two fish be in one tank ?

ilovemytank

Can a copperbanded butterfly fish and a yellow tang be kept in a 125 together ? My tank is currently is very peacefull but contains a 5" yellow tang and a 6" blue tang. I'm a little concerned because the butterfly has a similar shape as the yellow tang in my opinion.

rlablan

I am not sure myself, I would say it's risky only because I have had probs with some fish in the similiar shape thing between a foxface and a purple tang... they practically have the same face so it was difficult.
Doesn't the copper have a really long nose though? like a lot longer and pointier that the yellow tang?
Maybe some one who these fish will chime in.

oceandude

IMO I don't think think the problem would be so much in the two having issues as much as keeping the CBB alive. They tend to do good for a VERY short time and then just die.
Several of my LFS owner friends won't even "carry" them anymore. I believe this is one of those fish best left in the ocean.

spanko

This compatibility chart thinks it should be okay.
http://www.***********.com/images/general/compatibility_chart.gif

srfisher17

IMO, the key to keeping a CCB is plenty of room and a quiet tank. They don't handle aggressive, or even extremely active fish as tankmates. These butterflies are like most angels, they need plenty of mature LR; they are constant "pickers".If you can find an Australian CBB, they seem to do very well (like all Aussie fish), if their needs are met. I've had an Aussie for almost 4 years and he's thriving; I had one for over 8 years before the hurricane got him.

burch2006

I've done it, and the copper ended up being more aggressive then the yellow tang when it came to feeding time! Just make sure the coppers eating well prior to purchase and I'd say you have no problem. This was in a 75 gallon tank.

christye1122

I bought a CBB off this site and he is amazing - eats aiptasia and anything else, excited with the others at feeding time and I have a yellow tang, a scopas who is much bigger, a few busy but not aggressive wrasses, a pair of clowns in a carpet anem, and a small picasso trigger who doesnt stand a chance in this crowd. I added a Koran juvi angel at the same time who is also happy. Oh, yeah, a green chromis that no one can catch >5yrs old. I move the rocks when I add a fish, try to add more than one at a time, feed heavy and turn the lights down. Wrasses usually go to bed, changes the pecking order. Not perfect, but I do okay. This is in the 125 (now full) FOWLR. My latest lesson - quit moving the trigger's rock, he gets cranky. His territory is small and it is best to let him have it.