can u tell the sex of fish?

cain420

is it possible to tell the --- of fish by lookin at em?
if i want to get 2 clownfish, how can i tell if they are male or female?

alyssia

Originally Posted by cain420
is it possible to tell the --- of fish by lookin at em?
if i want to get 2 clownfish, how can i tell if they are male or female?
Clownfish are hermaphrodites. One will become female and one male.

eaglephot

But how do you know that you are buying two females and not two males? I know that a male can't turn to a female. Are they male until they are in a pair?

alyssia

Originally Posted by Eaglephot
But how do you know that you are buying two females and not two males? I know that a male can't turn to a female. Are they male until they are in a pair?
yes

sdsheeks

Originally Posted by Eaglephot

Actually I think the male can turn female....but not back the other way.
Dave

fishieness

i dont believe there are any way to tell with msot types of eels. im not even sure how good they are to breed in the home aquarium. if you are looking for an easy fish to breed, go with clowns. they take a lot of time, but there is so much info on the internet about them. or bangaii cardinals.

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by sdsheeks
Actually I think the male can turn female....but not back the other way.
Dave
Yes they can!!! For an example, a clown fish pair, one turns into a female and one turns into a male. If the female dies and another one was added, the larger male turns into a female. But if you added another one of the same size when the male dies and it was a female, one will turn into a male. As long as they're hermaphrodites, they're able to go back and fourth depending on the circumstances. :happyfish

fishieness

i dont belive so...... i thought once they are femal they cannot go back. if you add another femal to it, they will fight.

mrdc

I was told that my anthia is a female because of it's color. There was a male in the tank I got it from and it was bigger and a very different color.

sdsheeks

Originally Posted by Mikeyjer
Yes they can!!! For an example, a clown fish pair, one turns into a female and one turns into a male. If the female dies and another one was added, the larger male turns into a female. But if you added another one of the same size when the male dies and it was a female, one will turn into a male. As long as they're hermaphrodites, they're able to go back and fourth depending on the circumstances. :happyfish

Once they become female there is no going back.
Dave

reefiness

i believe that they all begin in a "juvinile" state. then the most dominant will become female and the second most dominant will become male. Any other clownfish within the system will remain in juvinile state until female dies then male goes female and a juvi goes male. if only a male dies them female will stay and only a juvi will become male

fishieness

this is true. although random little juvi ones will be beated up and most likely killed.
also a juvi kept alone without any other clowns will eventualy become female.

jon321

Originally Posted by mrdc
I was told that my anthia is a female because of it's color. There was a male in the tank I got it from and it was bigger and a very different color.
Clowns and anthias are different. Clowns change from a male to a female, while anthias turn from a female to a male.
Jon

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by sdsheeks
Once they become female there is no going back.
Dave
If you read up on Hermaphrodites, it tells you differ!! :happyfish