Can you drink the Ro/di water?

bobtail107

Hello everyone. I know this is a strange question but.... If you do not ask you will never know. I was just wondering if you can and or should drink the good water you get from the ro/di unit? There is all this talk on here that it is pure and what not. Just curious if you could drink it.
Thanks everyone.
Jeremy

hot883

Originally Posted by Bobtail107
Hello everyone. I know this is a strange question but.... If you do not ask you will never know. I was just wondering if you can and or should drink the good water you get from the ro/di unit? There is all this talk on here that it is pure and what not. Just curious if you could drink it.
Thanks everyone.
Jeremy
Yes of course. It's the best water there is IMO. My system is for my house, I just skim off a line for my tank. Ha!

krazekajin

no to disagree, cause I really do not know,
But I have heard talk that there are some resins that are used is some ro/di units that are not approved for human consumption?
anybody know what I am talking about?

renogaw

people use ro water, but mainly for drinking water for filling up teapots, or for cofee pots, etc. i sell set ups for under sinks, but mainly they are not used in whole house applications due to the wasted water they cause. plus, if you put ro/di water though your copper pipes, the water will dissolve your copper because it is so pure.

rusting

Originally Posted by Bobtail107
Thanks everyone.
Jeremy
RO/DI water is good for your tank, RO/DI is not good to drink. You can put a 3 way in line, and use RO just for drinking.

maelv

I read through here quite a bit and often see people commenting on RO/DI units...one that comes up often is Air Water Ice units (the website is the name without spaces dot com). Well I checked on their site and they have this particular unit that is called Dual Home Reef fpr $189 (50 gpd) and $199 for the 75 gpd model.
Here is what it says (go to the reefkeepers link on the left of the home page to find it):
DUAL HOME / REEF The Dual Home/Reef is a six (6) stage RO/DI (Reverse Osmosis/De-Ionizing) reef keeping system that uses a 50gpd (Gallons Per Day) FilmTec Membrane for truly great water quality and production rates.
This model has been designed from the gound up to provide absolutely pure, lab grade RO/DI water for your reef, while at the same time providing you with a constant supply of exceptionally purified RO drinking water. With 2 seperate outputs already provided you will never have to fuss with the connections, as with other systems.
Now my question for anyone who knows and has recommended this particular brand, because I normally hear people talking about the Typhoon 3 also about 200.....This dual home/reef unit.....is it a good one to buy??? Does anyone know?
Thanks

maeistero

maelv,
i bought my typhoon III used off this site. it's an excellent system. everything is very well made out of quality plumbing. i've had a couple stupid systems before and lucked out when i stumbled on this. i'm not sure that i'd ever need anything bigger or better.
i would recommend an inline tds meter. it's very cheap off eneigh and you'll need one anyways. my filter didn't come with one.
there are valve turnoffs so i can use ro/di for the tanks or ro only for drinking water. i do not use this system for the entire house as i can't afford that many filters.

maelv

Maeistero....Never thought of the needing all of the filters for the entire house....the main purpose for me is the aquarium....we normally have bottled water for consumption anyhow...thanks for letting me know. I am a newbie, so I am just learning about all of this. you mention an inline tds meter...please take me to school and educate me. I have NO idea what in the world that is or what it is used for. And it is the first time I remember even hearing of this.

maeistero

type "inline tds" into that auction site and you'll know what it is. you will need this to tell when to replace the filters. otherwise your expensive filter is useless. handheld units are pretty much as useless as electronic ph meters as well.
i am not discounting the other ro unit you mentioned btw. i've no experience with that company. i was going to get something from them new but came across this.
i have over 1000gal going with mine and we use it for cooking and drinking water so i'd say it's a pretty efficient system.

boozzbro

RO and DI water is too good to drink. It lacks a lot of the nutrients and salts that your body needs drinking it is not healthy it very bad for you.
Trust me this is what i do for work. Currently i design water treatment systems for power plants. Before that i was a process engineer for a membrane company in the municipal water group.