Can you ever have to much flow?

vpotts28

I have a 55g with two maxi-jet 900's, I came across a great deal on another 900. That will give me 690 g/h. Will that be ok? I had a diatom outbreak again in the 5th month, so I obviously have some dead spots. TIA

coolguy818

I have:
2 295gph Powerheads
1 55gph Filter
1 50gph mini Powerhead
1 230gph Powerhead on the Skimmer.
Equals - 925gph of flow or 32 times turnover............ in a 29 gallon.
Never had Diatoms, Cyano, or anything of the sort.
I don't spot feed corals, I simply turn off the Filter and Skimmer.
Flow is good, with your 55g, you will be at about 12.5 times turnover. As long as the polyps aren't coming off your corals, and the temperature is maintained. I don't think there is a problem with it.

vpotts28

Originally Posted by Coolguy818
I have:
2 295gph Powerheads
1 55gph Filter
1 50gph mini Powerhead
1 230gph Powerhead on the Skimmer.
Equals - 925gph of flow or 32 times turnover............ in a 29 gallon.
Never had Diatoms, Cyano, or anything of the sort.
I don't spot feed corals, I simply turn off the Filter and Skimmer.
Flow is good, with your 55g, you will be at about 12.5 times turnover. As long as the polyps aren't coming off your corals, and the temperature is maintained. I don't think there is a problem with it.
I've got the hob filter and skimmer as well, I don't really know what they are, I never count them, but I am sure I can add another 300 to the total between them. Thanks for the info.

marka1620

I hope you can never have enough flow. I have a 47 gallon tall and I'm pushing around 1900 gph
. I figure that's about a 40x turnover rate.
I have 3 Maxi jets = 500+ gph
Hydora 4 Powerjet = 1200 gph
Hang on Filter = 200+ gph

marka1620

Originally Posted by Coolguy818
Damn, what PH makes 1200gph flow?
Yup, but the nice thing about it, it's a very broad flow. Not concentrated like the Maxi-jets are. Have a tall tank, makes it kind of tricky with the flow. I have the 1200 gph flow at the back blowing towards the front. The other jets I have at the top hitting everything else.

marka1620

Originally Posted by autofreak44
i wouldnt go over 40x turnover. it would start a tornado with your sand
No turnado and everything looks great. The Hydora 4 being such a broad flow doesnt kick up any sand. The fish have plenty of places to chill if they don't want to ride the Flume Water Ride.

In my 110
1xQuiet one 2200 (`fuge)=581 gph
1xMag 9.5 (return)=950 gph
1xMag 4(skimmer)=400 gph
2xLittle Giant 3 (MDQX, Closed Loops)=2000 gph
Total 3931 gph, figure after head loss, about 3400 gph. sooo about 31xturnover for the total system.
Flow is good to have no dead spots. Makes it kinda tuff to place a low flow coral tho.

Originally Posted by autofreak44
i wouldnt go over 40x turnover. it would start a tornado with your sand
I think its one of Beths fav sayings, that if you disturb a little bit of the sand, and dont have a mini sand storm, you need more flow.....I could be wrong, but i am pretty sure that beth said that.
now she will pop in here and prove me wrong

keith burn

Ok the answer to it is yes you can...
When the fish are pinned to the glass...the flow is just a bit much...

townsdp

I have 31X turnover in my 75g with 3 maxi900, 1 maxi600, mag 7, mag 2. I have a hard time finding low flow spots for corals but I get no cyano. My fish have no trouble swimming, and high to moderate flow is easy to find. As my tank aged, the sand in the front quit blowing away from the glass. I have more flow in this tank than in any of my other 6 tanks and I am very happy. except for bad hair algae I can't cure, my tank does very well. Mo flow is the way to go.

driedbrain

I have a 45g Deep. I have 4 maxijet 1200's. All 4 alternate at diff times with timed surge protector. 2 emperor 400's and protien skimmer. Not sure how much turnover but can't find a dead spot.

symon

I have 4 maxi 1200's
a maxi 1200 on my skimmer and a small hob filter i wanna say it's only a whisper 60 never really added it all up but it seems to work out great!

kjohansen

Originally Posted by keith burn
Ok the answer to it is yes you can...
When the fish are pinned to the glass...the flow is just a bit much...