can you help?

jacrmill

i was cleaning the outside of my fish tank with a paper towel that i had sprayed a little windex on. then without thinking i used the other side of the paper towel to wipe the algae of the inside of my glass. i know thats gotta be the dumbest thing anybodys ever heard of. at least i dont have any fish in there cause im cycling my tank. the cleaner has ammonia in it, which i wouldnt think would hurt anything cause it is cycling. but it also has isopropyl alcohol, glycol ether, coloring and fragrances. should i do a water change even though im in my cycle. i know that it was really stupid, but i dont think hardly any would get in the water cause i folded the paper towel over and didnt have it in there for more than 10 seconds. can anybody help?
[ May 07, 2001: Message edited by: Admin5 ]

jacrmill

also i have 20 lbs of LR and 2-3 inches worth of LS, dont know if that makes any difference, and its in a 37 gallon eclipse so it runs carbon all the time, again, dont know if that helps. i would really appreciatte any help, im really kicking my own @$$ over this.

dseiler

I have heard that you should not even wipe the outside of your tank with windex, or similar product, becasue the amonia can "seep" through the glass. I don't think the world will end from it happening one time, but I wouldn't do it again. I know they sell some "safe" aquarium glass cleaners but I can't remember the name. A good LFS should have it and I am sure someone else on this BB will be able to give you a name. i am just having a brain fart about it. :rolleyes:
HTH

jacrmill

thanks for all the help. i was going to change some after the cycle anyways, to get rid of nitrates. i dont think its gonna cause a huge problem just because i dont think hardly any of the cleaner got in there. but i will go look for that aquarium safe cleaner, i didnt know you couldnt use it on the outside of the glass. thanks for all the help.

mr . salty

I also just use WINDEX on my tank.I have never used anything but.And as for something "seeping through the glass"Highly improbable. If this is possible,wouldn't the water seep out?????
[ May 05, 2001: Message edited by: MR . SALTY ]

jacrmill

i kinda thought that sounded wierd myself. i didnt think id have a problem with windex as long as i sprayed it on the towel and not near the tank. but man i never thought id do something so dumb. thanks again everybody.

luckyboy7

Hey! I use "Safe & Easy" Aquarium cleaner, got it at lfs... For fresh and salt water... And I dont think that it would really hurt your aquarium by what you did, so just be more careful next time... :cool:

pufferlover

I have used only windex on my outside glass for years now with no problems. I sort of chuckle when I see the adds for the special glass cleaners and the prices they get. Every fish store I visit use windex for their outside tank glass. I just make sure I spray down so it does not hit the top of the tank.

landmeier

There is no possible chance Windex can seep through the glass. It would be physically and chemically impossible. The only way it could "seep through" is if you sprayed the Windex near the tank and some mist entered the water. I also use Windex to clean the glass.

If Mr. Salty can test his water with his tongue I doubt a little Windex will do too much harm. :)
However, I would change the filter cartridge to get some fresh carbon at work to clean out whatever may have crept into your water.
As far as using Windex, last I checked glass was pretty impermiable BUT, sprays to go all over the place. (Cleaning people used some bug spray at my office and killed 13 freshwater fish in an Eclipse system.)
I suggest you stand back and spray the Windex on your paper towel then clean so you don't get any overspray onto the top of the tank or to any air pumps that could suck it in. Actually, plain water works just fine on glass.
Hope this helps.
[ May 07, 2001: Message edited by: CaymanLovers ]

jacrmill

i actually spray the windex on the towel in another room. seems kinda cautios since i did something so stupid doesnt it? i dont wanna use water cause it leaves streaks real bad. ill just use windex and try to not ever do that again. thanks for all the help.

Shop towels from kragen. One wet (faucet water) and one dry....wax on....wax off. No chemicals, no streaks, no problem. Can also mix a little vinegar with water, which is what I do for my cars as windex always streaks up my windows.

jacrmill

i think id rather get a little windex as opposed to vinegar. ill keep doing what im doing, and just not be so ignorant. thanks again for all the help.