Can you keep an eel in a 30 gallon tank

stacyt

For a SFE, I would say the minimum would be a 55. There are some smaller eels that would be fine, but can't remember the name. I'm sure some of the others will help you out with the names of them.

The smaller morays that seem most common to the hobby are the snowflakes and chainlinks. They both max out around 30 to 36 inches. You could probably do one in a 30 as long as you have good filtration.
If you get a small one (6-10 inches) , provide him with plenty of cover you could keep him there for awhile. check out U235a4 post on his tessy's set up, it will give you some good idea's on how to. It is only a 37 but his is getting ready to be moved to a larger tank. If you were to ask which moray is better , that is a hard question. I kept a SFE for 2 years and had great success with him. He was personable and very pretty. But I have always liked the coloration of the chain links though I have never kept one.
Another idea, are wolf eels. They are in the blenny family and only get 18 inches. I think when they reach that size they can be rather heavy bodied. If you were to ask me what a wolf eel is like , I would say a grouper with a long thin body.
HTH