Can you mix saltwater and freshwater fish?

bmac_2727

i have actually done something similar. I had 2 green spotted puffers (brakkish) that i converted to full SW. It was pretty easy just every water change I did, I would just add a little more salt to the mix and eventually I got them up to 1.025. Then I just added them into my established (Killa Tank) and they did just fine with the triggers and my porcupine puff. I thought it was pretty cool but they never started out being completely FW fish.

rdub62

My local fish store has a guy who acclimates mollies and such over different periods of time from fresh water to saltwater...Pretty sure this doesn't work from salt to fresh though.
From personal experience i've acclimated probably a couple dozen shrimps from fresh to salt and they lived for weeks until they were eaten...however i can not comment on any more long term than that. i'm pretty sure that inverts are much easier than fish though...

cranberry

Some fish have a wide tolerance of salinity ranges so the answer would lie in the particular fish in question.

mantisman51

GSP's start in brackish deltas as youngins and about 4-6 months go out to the ocean. They are full SW fish as adults.

blackjacktang

cool!
I might
of done this before. I had 2 maroon clownfish (mated) in my 60g system and i kept having puttingtoo much freshwater all the time by accedent. then i tested the salt level of it and it went 0.005
not shure whether it was the hydrometer or the fish.

flower

Originally Posted by Blackjacktang
http:///forum/post/3124832
cool!
I might
of done this before. I had 2 maroon clownfish (mated) in my 60g system and i kept having puttingtoo much freshwater all the time by accedent. then i tested the salt level of it and it went 0.005
not shure whether it was the hydrometer or the fish.
That is like hypo when a fish is infected with ich...the fish can't live like hat forever, but a couple of weeks sure.

scsinet

Seems to me like this runs afoul of the ethical and general goals of fishkeeping...
Isn't the whole idea supposed to be the re-creation of a natural environment in our home? What can possibly be less natural than the mixing of fish that come from entirely different types of water? Of course, lest we forget the long term health implications to the animals.
An intriguing experiment to be sure, but one that should be done by expert experimenters and not brought into general use.
Personally, I think it would look stupid anyway.

reefkprz

just because you can do something doesnt mean you should.
eg I can go drive 120 MPH on the highway on my motorcycle, that doesnt make it a good idea.
the ethical reasons not do do this are fairly obvious to me. and this is how I see them. now remember before anyone goes up in arms this is just my opinion.
the whole Idea of fish keeping is to replicate as natural an environment as possible, this is completely unnatural, and every other ethical idea stems from that statement.
the osmoregulatory process in fish is affected by the salinity of the water, fish derived from lower salinity waters require more energy to osmoregulate in higher salinity water, causeing them to expend energy that would normally be used for growth etc. to simply osmoregulate.
bacteria germs and virus all mutate, some more rapidly than others when exposed to unnatural phenomena, this could in theory force mutation in various diseases causing more hardy strains of common illnesses (kind of a stretch but possible) and even mutate new disease that cross phylum with impunity.
I personally do not feel this should be a reccomended form of fish keeping and probably shouldnt even be done by practiced scientests. I feel its thouroughly unethical. and I agree with SCSI I think it looks dumb.
but thats just my 2 pennies worth.

coral keeper

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
http:///forum/post/3132456
just because you can do something doesnt mean you should.
eg I can go drive 120 MPH on the highway on my motorcycle, that doesnt make it a good idea.
the ethical reasons not do do this are fairly obvious to me. and this is how I see them. now remember before anyone goes up in arms this is just my opinion.
the whole Idea of fish keeping is to replicate as natural an environment as possible, this is completely unnatural, and every other ethical idea stems from that statement.
the osmoregulatory process in fish is affected by the salinity of the water, fish derived from lower salinity waters require more energy to osmoregulate in higher salinity water, causeing them to expend energy that would normally be used for growth etc. to simply osmoregulate.
bacteria germs and virus all mutate, some more rapidly than others when exposed to unnatural phenomena, this could in theory force mutation in various diseases causing more hardy strains of common illnesses (kind of a stretch but possible) and even mutate new disease that cross phylum with impunity.
I personally do not feel this should be a reccomended form of fish keeping and probably shouldnt even be done by practiced scientests. I feel its thouroughly unethical. and I agree with SCSI I think it looks dumb.
but thats just my 2 pennies worth.
+1

chrisnif

This just doesn't seem like it'd be a good idea for anything in the tank, but then again coral and discus would be pretty freaking cool :)

beaslbob

The only thing that is surprising to my on this is that someone is promoting this as unique, unusal, buy our stuff kinda thing. But then I use molly to cycle my marine tanks anyway.

chrisnif

Mollies are easy to convert, as are "black fin/columbian" sharks and a few others. What they are showing are fully freshwater, cant take brackish etc fish with full salt fish. African cichlids and a trigger, that'd be something to see ;) Or maybe discus and tangs ;)
Originally Posted by beaslbob
http:///forum/post/3195585
The only thing that is surprising to my on this is that someone is promoting this as unique, unusal, buy our stuff kinda thing. But then I use molly to cycle my marine tanks anyway.

davebrace5533

ok here is the deal on converting salt and fresh fishes. ANY freshwater fish with the exception and a few scaleless species can be converted to saltwater. the only variance is the amount of time you have to use to convert them. However, only a very very few species can go from salt to freshwater.
over the last 3 years i have successfully converted black mollies, common goldfish, bluegills, crappies, 1largemouth bass, 2 perch, and a northern pike(green barracuda now lol). all of these were fairly young fish when i did it, the biggest was the northern which was about 11 inches when i did it.

kraylen

Originally Posted by davebrace5533
http:///forum/post/3195819
ok here is the deal on converting salt and fresh fishes. ANY freshwater fish with the exception and a few scaleless species can be converted to saltwater. the only variance is the amount of time you have to use to convert them. However, only a very very few species can go from salt to freshwater.
over the last 3 years i have successfully converted black mollies, common goldfish, bluegills, crappies, 1largemouth bass, 2 perch, and a northern pike(green barracuda now lol). all of these were fairly young fish when i did it, the biggest was the northern which was about 11 inches when i did it.
I call BS... I highly down you have acclimated these claimed species to TRUE marine salinity considering there is what.. 1...2 species of "FW" fish that can actually achieve this?

davebrace5533

bs? look it up it is basic fish biology. or better yet try it it is easy get a freshwater fish and start driping in salt water. drip enough to double the total amount of water in 2 days and after that time take out some and keep dripping in the saltwater. repeat this until the fish is in full saltwater and don't call bs on anything i say again. this is a learning site, why would someone make up crap when there would be another 25 people here who know the truth.

kraylen

Originally Posted by davebrace5533
http:///forum/post/3196305
bs? look it up it is basic fish biology. or better yet try it it is easy get a freshwater fish and start driping in salt water. drip enough to double the total amount of water in 2 days and after that time take out some and keep dripping in the saltwater. repeat this until the fish is in full saltwater and don't call bs on anything i say again. this is a learning site, why would someone make up crap when there would be another 25 people here who know the truth.
Yeah I'm sure that works short term. Carry on with some half-info... I'm sure people learning won't know the difference.