Can zoos be cut?

bronco300

dont cut the polpy, itll put out poisonus toxins...but if you can get below the polyps and what not yea...but make sure you have some gloves on in case...

ninjamini

Originally Posted by Bronco300
dont cut the polpy, itll put out poisonus toxins...but if you can get below the polyps and what not yea...but make sure you have some gloves on in case...
Sorry to steal the thread but poisonous like as to poison the neighbor that leaves beer bottles in my yard kinda poison?

bronco300

hahaha...toxic, deadly...i'd prolly knock that neighbor out...zoos could be helpful, not advocated though,lol

oceana

yes you can cut the polyps. yes they can contain poison. simply put on some gloves and cut away. they are a VERy hard bunch.
as for the growth rate it all depends. different zoos differnt rates. but in general they are a fast grower

lionfish1

Well like how fast to grow from a dime size to half dollar size? Just trying to get a ballfield estimate.

mrdc

Are you talikng about one polyp going from a dime to half dollar size or multiple polyps? I bought 3 frags of zoas over a month ago. I never did see hardly any growth until I put my halides in about two weeks ago. Since then, Ive seen multiple new polyps. At the current rate, I should see dime to quarter in a month or so.

lionfish1

Yes i meant multiple polyp size. I bought a frag from LFS about quarter sized group, and was wondering about how fast they spread. thanks for your response.

mrdc

No problem and remember that it will depend on the type of zoa also but in general they are supposed to grow well. That's why you see them heavily aquacultured plus they are hardy and easier to ship. I want some puple people eaters but they are cheap and don't grow very fast, so I am told.

oceana

Originally Posted by mrdc
No problem and remember that it will depend on the type of zoa also but in general they are supposed to grow well. That's why you see them heavily aquacultured plus they are hardy and easier to ship. I want some puple people eaters but they are cheap and don't grow very fast, so I am told.
yep they grow very slow. BUT have you ever seen one in person?? not very nice looking IMO. one time i saw one that looked nice but still nothing like that you can find in pictures on line. under 10k they are a rather boring zoa