Candy Cane and Red Open Brain...frogspawn?

jubbin2001

Hey all, I have heard how spot feeding can really help these guys out. I haven't done much in the dept of feeding the candy cane or frogspawn, and the red open, I just got. I looked through the feeding pic thread, and I have to say I have never seen these guys even remotely look like that (candy cane or frogspawn)
except for the green brain I have . I have been monitoring them very closely after dark and I never see any feeding tenticles out. The green brain on the other hand I can see puff out and put out the tenticles when he is ready for food, but this is more so in the day than after lights out. I guess I never see anything from the candy canes or any interest in the frogspawn for feeding, so I am a little confused. Are they just pulling what they need outta the water colum during the day when I feed the rest of the tank? Should I maybe start to feed more after dark? They all look pretty healthy and fine, the frogspawn and green brain fully extend out every morning not even 10 min after the lights go on, and the candy is splitting on one of the heads already (only had him about 3 weeks). I just thought I would ask what I should be looking for, perhaps I might need to coax them to feed? Should I just continue on they way I have been doing things. I really would like them to grow and propagate, I just don't want to be doing something wrong. Thanx all.

hops523

Spot feeding does help coral grow faster, even though about 99% of their food comes from the light. What type of lighting do you have? I have all of these coral, I have a frog, candies, and open brain. Frogspawns dont put out tenticles at night, they actually close up, so its best to feed them during the day. My candies never really opened up at night, until recently. So I also spot fed them during the day, and I still do sometimes. My open brain that I recently got opens up all night long, so he gets fed at night. I feed all of these coral mysis shrimp.

ci11337

All my corals used to put out tentacles at night but when i stopped feeding them weekly they didn't anymore. Try and coax them by setting food near them.

jubbin2001

Right now I have a Coralife dual CF.
My green brain really is out all day, and closes at night, so he gets fed in the day.
My Frogspawn also closes for me at night, so maybe it is pulling in what he needs during the day. I got it as a frag, and it has over doubled in size in 3 weeks.
The Candies seem to be just fine today oddly enough...lol. I actiually noticed them puffing out quite a bit today after I fed the tank. I would appear it is getting the food when I feed the rest of the aquarium.
Thanks for the info though, I really don't want to see these head south.

hops523

Frogspawns are suppose to close at night. Thats why people feed them during the day, because their tenticles are out.

rs1831

With the candycane just hold a piece of mysis against it until it starts to take it in. After a few times of this it will get easier.