candy cane question

oneradtek

I have a few candy cane polyps on a rock and they have not even been feeding or getting bigger in months since i got them! ive seen them feed once or so. They do not put out tentacles for feeding so im at a loss on how to feed them. i check at night and still no tentacles for feeding. A few on the bottom side of the rock are starting to harden up, but the ones twards the light is still ok.
whats going on here! haha
i have 350 watt metal halides 14k
2x 96 watt actinics for lighting
they are in slow to moderate flow.
not the best pics but ill try to get a close up later tomorrow. thanx in advance!

Is the xenia touching them alot? If it is try to move them away, they're not stinging them but they have a chemical in them that can bother other corals. If not you may have them up to high in your tank. I have my candy canes almost on the bottom of the tank with medium to high flow.

florida joe

I also have my canes on the bottom isolated and they seem to do well. Nice Kole and very very nice arrangement, Is that a RG peaking out of the bottom of the second pic ?

N

nereef

how long have you had them? what's s.g.? i'd go with saying blackcap in the second pic.

rs1831

I've been dealing with the same problem and what I've been doing is turning off my ph's and then I hold a piece of mysis near the mouth. After a little while it starts to take it in. Every night it gets easier.

spanko

You can also cut the top off of a 2 litre pop bottle, put it down over the coral and feed through the small opening. This keeps those pesky shrimp away.

oneradtek

hey good idea maybe ill try to coax them to feed again with that trick thanx everyone wish me luck.
the night spot feed didnt do anything

petjunkie

I used to have that kind of candy canes and they weren't too interested in feeding either, they would only put out feeders after I flooded the tank with food, my greenish ones now throw out feeders almost nonstop and grow and split like crazy even though they aren't fed often.