candy cane splitting again!

melypr1985

I got this from a local club member for free to see if it would grow under my lighting. I've had it for 3 months and it has split once already. Now it's going to split again! The left polyp looks like it will split soon after this one does also! I just thought this was pretty cool.
I'm fairly certain you can see where the left head has developed two mouths on it and has elongated itself. The right head is showing signs of developing two mouths but is not quite there yet.

jackri

I started with a head starting to split like the one on the right is about to do... and now I have at least a dozen a year later. Love my candy cane --- especially when the lights go off and it opens up.

melypr1985

Originally Posted by jackri
http:///forum/post/3148341
I started with a head starting to split like the one on the right is about to do... and now I have at least a dozen a year later. Love my candy cane --- especially when the lights go off and it opens up.

i know. I love mine too! It's so much fun to watch it grow.

freddiec

Wow that's really cool, I've been eyeballing some candy canes at the LFS for a little while but they're somewhat more expensive than I've been willing to fork out.
What type of lights are you running? Also what type of flow do you have in your tank... I hear they take high flow and like to be in somewhat of a current.
Grats on the awesome pickup again

melypr1985

Originally Posted by FreddieC
http:///forum/post/3148544
Wow that's really cool, I've been eyeballing some candy canes at the LFS for a little while but they're somewhat more expensive than I've been willing to fork out.
What type of lights are you running? Also what type of flow do you have in your tank... I hear they take high flow and like to be in somewhat of a current.
Grats on the awesome pickup again

I'm runing t5s and pcs right now. My candy cane isn't in direct flow, but just under the current. It seems to do just fine where ever I put it. Not to mention it has been chewed on before and moved from one tank to another several times. This is one of my easiest corals ever! Dont fork out dough for it, find a fellow reefer with a large colony and get him to frag you a head. it will split and grow rather quickly. IME