Canister filter and heater

leosdad

I just purchased a JBJ Reaction 4-Stage Canister Filter with a 5W UV Sterlizer. (EFU-25) for use in a tank up to 100 gallons. Can I install a (Brand name) HYDOR ETH In-Line Heater on this particular unit? Tank is actually 55 gallons.

My home is an 83 year old wood frame country house and it stays very chilly in here. I can notice the change in the water temp daily. I do have a small basic tube heater, but am leary of turning it up too high and creating a hot spot in just one section of the tank.

I ordered the filter from DRS. F & S, and the heater is from the same location and indicates it is "ideal" with canister filters.

Also, the sterilizer has an on/off switch, how long should I run this sterilizer? continuous? sporadic?

Just wanted some advice before making another purchase.

And as long as I am here, what lighting would anyone recommend? I have some live rock, soft corals, inverts, and several clowns, coral beauties and coral banded shrimp.

Thanks for any and all advice.

Leosdad

snakeblitz33

I honestly wouldn't put a canister filter on a saltwater tank... they require a lot of maintenance. but, since you have this already, you might make the most of it.

I would put that heater on the canister. shouldn't be a problem. it's best to stabilize the temp within one degree Fahrenheit.

As for lighting, I would suggest leds, but it sounds like you are on a bit of a budget. for a soft coral tank, you could do with a four bulb t5 system and be in a good spot. if you want to try leds, try some value units from reefbreeders, or the photon series....

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by leosdad http:///t/396908/canister-filter-and-heater#post_3536343
I just purchased a JBJ Reaction 4-Stage Canister Filter with a 5W UV Sterlizer. (EFU-25) for use in a tank up to 100 gallons. Can I install a (Brand name) HYDOR ETH In-Line Heater on this particular unit? Tank is actually 55 gallons.

My home is an 83 year old wood frame country house and it stays very chilly in here. I can notice the change in the water temp daily. I do have a small basic tube heater, but am leary of turning it up too high and creating a hot spot in just one section of the tank.

I ordered the filter from DRS. F & S, and the heater is from the same location and indicates it is "ideal" with canister filters.

Also, the sterilizer has an on/off switch, how long should I run this sterilizer? continuous? sporadic?

Just wanted some advice before making another purchase.

And as long as I am here, what lighting would anyone recommend? I have some live rock, soft corals, inverts, and several clowns, coral beauties and coral banded shrimp.

Thanks for any and all advice.

Leosdad

Hi,

Congratulations...yes you can put an in-line heater. I ran my SW reef on a canister for 12 years without a single hitch. I wasn't even that careful about maintenance (it's easy to forget a canister)...I ran two on my 90g, one I cleaned while the other I let ride, I had to put a tag on the one due next, so I wouldn't get mixed up.

The reason I used two, was because after I cleaned the filter I would get a .25 ammonia spike (when I first set up)...due to the loss of good bacteria when I swapped out the media. By cleaning one then the other, there was enough good bacteria to prevent any spikes. Both canister instructions said to only swap half the media to prevent such things from happening...well if I'm cleaning the dang thing, I'm going to do a good job of it. So I got two and toggled them for cleaning.

leosdad

To Snakeblitz33 : Why would you make such a condesending comment as to thinking I am on a budget? I see nothing in my post that even remotely suggests that I am "on a budget" as you imply. If this is how you answer every post, then maybe you should keep your opinions to yourself, and maybe focus on the actual questions in the posts. And yes, if there is a moderator, please by all means ban me from the site. In fact, don't ban me. I'm done.

To Flower: Thank you very much for your insight and giving me some ideas.

Leosdad

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by leosdad http:///t/396908/canister-filter-and-heater#post_3536382
To Snakeblitz33 : Why would you make such a condesending comment as to thinking I am on a budget? I see nothing in my post that even remotely suggests that I am "on a budget" as you imply. If this is how you answer every post, then maybe you should keep your opinions to yourself, and maybe focus on the actual questions in the posts. And yes, if there is a moderator, please by all means ban me from the site. In fact, don't ban me. I'm done.

To Flower: Thank you very much for your insight and giving me some ideas.

Leosdad

Hi,

Why would you feel so offended if somebody thought you were on a budget? Then to get so upset that you quit the site???? Not to mention he did answer your question about the in-line heater.

leosdad

Flower,

Several months ago I asked a similar question about setting up a second tank. Again I was asking, because I wanted input on the how's and why's. I had also referenced lookng through the Drs. Fosters and Smiths catalog. The response was similar, and it also included a notation that no one that is seriously wanting to get into this hobby would look to that particular source of equipment unless they were on a limited budget and could not afford "real" equipment. I'm sorry if it offended anyone, but telling me that "I appear to be on a budget" is like telling me, "Hey maybe you should apply for welfare." It pissed me off mainly because not everyone wants to go all out in spending an ungodly amount of money on a "trial and error" process. I just wish people would be more direct at answering questions, rather than making assumptions. And not that it make any difference in the grand scheme of things, but I am a registered PE in the state with a degree in CIvil Engineeing and 25 years experience.. I'm pretty sure I can afford this.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by leosdad http:///t/396908/canister-filter-and-heater#post_3536539
Flower,

Several months ago I asked a similar question about setting up a second tank. Again I was asking, because I wanted input on the how's and why's. I had also referenced lookng through the Drs. Fosters and Smiths catalog. The response was similar, and it also included a notation that no one that is seriously wanting to get into this hobby would look to that particular source of equipment unless they were on a limited budget and could not afford "real" equipment. I'm sorry if it offended anyone, but telling me that "I appear to be on a budget" is like telling me, "Hey maybe you should apply for welfare." It pissed me off mainly because not everyone wants to go all out in spending an ungodly amount of money on a "trial and error" process. I just wish people would be more direct at answering questions, rather than making assumptions. And not that it make any difference in the grand scheme of things, but I am a registered PE in the state with a degree in CIvil Engineeing and 25 years experience.. I'm pretty sure I can afford this.

Hi,

Well it's good to see you didn't just up and leave. Snake meant no harm, and it isn't an insult to be on a budget...very few folks are so well off they are not. I live on a fixed income, Snake is just starting his family...Besides, if the well off doesn't budget, they won't be well off for long.

Now if a person can't afford fish food, time or a test kit, maybe they should reconsider having a fish tank. However I have not known a single person on this site to act uppity towards those who are on a budget. Frankly it's best to assume everyone is on a budget, because we all want to save our cash for the cool critters, instead of spending it all on expensive equipment. That doesn't mean we don't want the awesome fancy stuff, but we certainly don't insist you are not a "real hobbyist" if you don't have it.

snakeblitz33

No budget? I can definitely work with that...

I can make recommendations on any budget that you have - from cheap to expensive. Most people that I talk to are always on some kind of budget, especially if they have most of the equipment they want to use already. But, since I know you want to do it right, and money is not a problem, lets go through a few ways of doing things, and some products that you may enjoy.

First of all, a 55g standard tank is way too narrow to have a decent aquascape. it would be better to get a larger tank, or a tank that is at minimum 18.5" from front to back. The more I look at tanks, the more I personally enjoy rimless cube acrylic tanks. acrylic is much more clear, and can give you a much better, more natural color instead of looking through glass that has a high iron content. You also spoke of the room being cold. Acrylic is a much better insulator and is able to keep temperature fluctuations down to a minimum, which means more success. Now that we have discussed the tank....

I would go with a sump system and have a space for a mechanical filter, like a filter sock assembly and enough filter socks to change out every two to three days until you can get them washed. The second section should be for a protein skimmer. I prefer Octopus brand protein skimmers on my personal budget, but if you have the money, a bubble king with red dragon pumps would be a good option. In the same chamber of the sump should contain a biopellet reactor - which will process your nitrates and phosphates by providing a carbon source for nitrifying bacteria to grow. It is the most modern way to control it besides water changes. The third chamber would be for the return pump and the auto top off system -- I prefer JBJ brand for $75, but a Tunze Osmolator for $200 will do the same thing.

Talking about heaters, a titanium heater is a must - actually two smaller ones is better then one larger one. I would also get them with controllers so that they won't fail. Heaters always present a challenge as well - since most of them will fail over time and are not fail safe unless you have a backup controller like an Apex to help monitor your temp. Apex units can also control your lights, a calcium reactor, control and monitor your pH - and it has a breakout box that can top off your sump as well. I believe now you can even hook it up to dosing pumps if necessary. Apex controllers allow you also to turn off the pump for feedings - it's only $500 for the unit and another $50 for the pH probe... but it is fun to play with, since you can make changes from your iPhone.

For water flow, you have three options, but I know a Jebao WP is a little on the lower quality side. Tunze makes controllable pumps that start at $225 plus about the same for the controller. However, you could go with a Vortech MP40 and not have wires in the tank - which makes it look pretty sleek. An MP40 is $460 brand new and is money well spent, but I have heard that the customer service isn't as good as Tunze. Flow is very important to get right, and pretty much the more you spend, the better your changes of success with a larger variety of corals, especially more difficult to keep corals.

You should invest in an RO/DI unit for your home as well. you can make pure water from home to top off the tank and to mix your saltwater in... I suggest getting a minimum 5 stage unit from bulk reef and replace two of the stages with refillable catalytic carbon filters and get a refillable DI kit as well - and always keep extra filters on hand. pay attention to your local news to see if they are going to do chlorine burns in the local municipal water supply. That will burn through your catalytic carbon block filters, and the carbon will have to be replaced more rapidly.I would also suggest to get an inline TDS meter with an inlet and outlet monitor... a controller for your unit as well will help you make decisions for when your stuff needs to be replaced. You can put a line into your auto top off reservoir on a float valve as well so that you won't have to worry about having to keep it filled. putting a float valve on a food grade trash can so that it can get filled automatically and you can easily mix saltwater for water changes. putting it on a furniture dolly with wheels would make it easy to get the water over to the tank.

So now you have a few options, and that is a little of what I have learned over the years. Sorry that you felt like I was being rude or condescending. I hope you have a better day, and thank you for reading. See you around the forum.