canister filtration

fatcats

hey i heard that a canister is bad because it lets out nitrates is this true. can anyone help me chose a filter better than a canister that is under $100 :help:

eel

how big is yourtank ,you can double the size,with a sump. water volume.canisters are not the best choise for our hobby

murph145

i have a 100 gallon tank with no sump and run 2 fluval 404's with carbon as my main filtration along with all my LR .... i also run a skimmer and a uv filter...
my canisters filter through the bottom of the tank thats drilled in four spots and then returned through the top and i keep everything from soft corals LPS corals SPS corals clams and such.... works good for me and i clean them once every month and use very high grade carbon enough for a 200 gallon tank since i have softcorals mixed in with sps
i never have a problem with my nitrates or anything i change 10 gallons every 2 weeks also...
heres a pic of my tank as u can see its doin good so canisters can be used efficiently u just have to do your maintenance

joker_ca

murph145 can you email me some pics of how you have your fluvals set up in your tank, i have 2 404 just sitting in my closet not being used and i want to hook them up to my 80g but never got around to plumbing them to the tank
joker18264@yahoo.com

angelsrock

my smallest tank is my 75. i use an emperor 400 which has never failed me yet and keeps my tank clean. i have had bad experiences with canister filters in the past, more specifically fluval 404's and i will never use a canister filter again. a lot of people i have talked to have problems with them leaking, maybe not all, but i know of a thread a while ago with which people had the same problem. not to mention you better have that hose that dumps the water back into the tank anchored properly and securely because if not they will pop out and filter the water all over the floor until the tank is empty. i've had this happen to me when i first started and lost all but 5 gallons in my tank.