Canned Sardines

darknes

Any other fans of canned sardines out there? If so, what's your favorite brand, and how do you eat them??
My favorite is Crown Prince lightly smoked in green chiles and oil.
I eat them straight out of the can, and have to have them several times a week.

S

sudc

Not sure what kind they were but when we were kids my dad would make us canned sardines on a bagel with cream cheese. My mom would come home and get so pissed that the house stunk and yell "why are you feeding them THAT!!!" but we loved them. Definitely one of my favorites as a kid!
For some reason though, my dad wouldn't let us have it for breakfast??? He alway's say it isn;t an appropriate breakfast

I haven't thought about them for at least 20 years. Gonna have to pick some up today and see if i still like it

T

tizzo

Originally Posted by SUDC
Not sure what kind they were but when we were kids my dad would make us canned sardines on a bagel with cream cheese. My mom would come home and get so pissed that the house stunk and yell "why are you feeding them THAT!!!" but we loved them. Definitely one of my favorites as a kid!
For some reason though, my dad wouldn't let us have it for breakfast??? He alway's say it isn;t an appropriate breakfast

I haven't thought about them for at least 20 years. Gonna have to pick some up today and see if i still like it

You won't. The smell will gross you out now that your older.
I like your dads snack though, that's like the poor man's bagels and lox, haha.
I'd need lemon.
Never had sardines, but I had smoked kippers in a can, and they stunk also, but I loved them. Ate them all the time in the field while back in the army, everybody got mad at me also for that wretched smell!

darknes

I don't think they smell any worse than a can of tuna.
I think what turns most people off are the bones. If you get the right brands, though, they shouldn't be very crunchy.

S

sudc

Originally Posted by Tizzo
You won't. The smell will gross you out now that your older.
I like your dads snack though, that's like the poor man's bagels and lox, haha.
I'd need lemon.
Never had sardines, but I had smoked kippers in a can, and they stunk also, but I loved them. Ate them all the time in the field while back in the army, everybody got mad at me also for that wretched smell!

I wonder

I still like anchovies on my pizza because thats how my dad always ordered it. My mom and brother wouldn't eat it so they made me finish the anchovie half with pops. Try finding someone nowadays to split an anchovie pizza with you, nearly impossible! lol
Darknes, whats a good brand of sardines that i can get to see if i still like?

renogaw

i think the type i get are the beach with louisana hotsauce. (they have a lighthouse on them). i pick the vertibrae out.

darknes

Darknes, whats a good brand of sardines that i can get to see if i still like?

Personally, I think Crown Prince is a good brand (the tin comes in a small box). If your store doesn't carry that brand, try any of the medium priced ones. The cheaper brands tend to have a more "fishy" taste.
Also, they come in many different sauces: mustard, tomato, chiles, tobasco, water, and oil. I prefer the oil.

mimzy

My Late Grandfather used to sit me on his lap and open a can of sardines for us to share. He'd tell me the "life stories" of each fishie, and the we'd thank them for feeding us, and we'd snack away!
It was so cute. ::sigh:: Good times.
I haven't eaten sardines since.

S

sudc

Originally Posted by Mimzy
My Late Grandfather used to sit me on his lap and open a can of sardines for us to share. He'd tell me the "life stories" of each fishie, and the we'd thank them for feeding us, and we'd snack away!
It was so cute. ::sigh:: Good times.
I haven't eaten sardines since.
Thats funny. I wasn't sure if that was you telling that story as YOU or as your AVATAR

mimzy

Thats funny. I wasn't sure if that was you telling that story as YOU or as your AVATAR

oh! LoL! I didn't even think of that

it's actually my story, Whisky (the cat) isn't allowed to have table food, she's got a sensitive tummy.

reefforbrains

Wife crinkles her nose at my snacks. Its about every 6 months or so but I dont just eat them, I sit and SAVOR them,......like its some sort of event.
Pickled Harring with a raw onion and LOADS of cracked black pepper
Sardines in Mustard with swiss cheese.
Hard salami with the sharpest cheddar I can find along with peppercinis (s?)
And forget the townhouse or off brands. it HAS to be Ritz crackers with all of the above.

nigerbang

Originally Posted by Tizzo
Ate them all the time in the field while back in the army, everybody got mad at me also for that wretched smell!
About the only time I can eat them is if I am out in the field and know I wont be coming out for lunch (at work, not in the army) Like mentioned ..With hot sauce and crackers...Dragon Breath later though