Canopy Help

anthonym28

I am in the process of upgrading to a 215 Oceanic. I have a dilemma with what to do about a canopy. I purchased the all-glass mission series stand and I was going to have a custom canopy built because the height of the matching canopy is only 9 inches and I want to do metal halides. The pendants are about 5 inches so that does not leave much room, I am afraid of over heating. Since the tank has a center brace I was planning on doing 2 islands, one on each side of the tank so I was only going to have two pendants and then 4 T5s. I contacted a place that does custom work, to see if they could custom build be a canopy that matches the stand, the color is cherry. They told me because the stand is made from an advanced laminated composite material they best they could do would be a 60% match and of course the price would increase because the stain process would be a multiple step process to get as close to the color as possible. So does anyone have any suggestions or ideas? I called All-Glass and they don’t have the stain nor do they do custom work.

snakeblitz33

If you are that concerned over the look of the stand, go ahead and do it. If you want a bigger budget for the fish, corals, and invertebrates, go ahead and build your own stand and canopy. It's not that difficult if you have some do it yourself skills.
Look at some builds on here and see if you think you can do it. I build stands for aquariums all of the time, including racks for my live fish store.
It would probably be cheaper to get a local carpenter to do it for you, instead of that.

krazy302

I have an 90 gallan with the missionary canopy and have no problems with my 250 watt mh's & 4 65 watts pc's..The highest the temp ever got was 82 degrees, And the only thing I have is a fan blowing off the wall onto the tank..

T

tizzo

Originally Posted by anthonym28
http:///forum/post/2493555
I the height of the matching canopy is only 9 inches and I want to do metal halides.
Instead of buildind a unit that you can place the lights inside of, could you not simply cut holes in the top and set your lights on top of the canopy you have now??
Zat make sense?