Canopy Lift Ideas?

jbret

I have a 90 gallon tank with a large wooden canopy. The canopy has a retrofit lighting kit installed in it. The canopy is heavy and takes 2 people to remove. I was wondering if anyone has seen or has any ideas for some type of lift I could make that I could hook up when needed to lift the canopy straight up for maintenance and cleaning. Maybe some sort of pulley setup?
Thanks Bret

thegrog

I am not sure if this would work or not, but I just saw it in an add in todays paper. They make a lift for bicycles meant for your gariage. It is a series of pullys that has two hooks on it. Only one cord to pull and it evenly pulls the bike (or possibly a hood) up. It was advertised with that big store that has a "target" on it's sign. Don't know if it would work, but worth a look.

scsinet

Does the lid hinge up? If that's the case you can put a gas strut/gas lift spring on it...the kind they use for hatchbacks and hoods on cars. I did that on a canopy I built for a 120 gallon tank once, works great. You can get the struts at auto parts stores....
Alternatively... and I'll disclaim up front that I've never seen this done...
I've seen tool lifts used on production lines before... they have an adjustable tension that allows the tool to be hung in front of the worker in more or less zero gravity... so they can be pulled up or down very easily... I wonder if a set of four of those would be useful.... I have no clue what they cost, but I know companies like Aimco Global make them, should be a good starting point.