cant keep my nitrates down

btwk12

whats the best way to keep nitrates down without a sump or refugium? i have a 125 gallon tank and i change 15 gallons a week, and i feed every 3 days. i run a hob filter, and a hob remora skimmer.

geoj

How much nitrates and what is your ammonia?
Does what you feed get eaten?
Do you have to feed at all or can you reduce how much you feed?
Do you have a sand bed?
Do you siphon out the waste?

btwk12

well i was testinfg with seachem test kits and it was sayin around 45-60 ppm so i got a hagen test kit this morning and tested and it said my nitrates were only somewhere around 5 ppm. which one do u think i should trust or should i try a 3rd test kit lol!
I do have a sand bed and when i change my water i stir up the sand to pull some waste out that way.
I also have snails that burrow beneath the sand (olive snails) to stir up the sand and eat some waste.
Its a reef tank so i feed the fish and corals, but i only have 2 fish cuz i have better luck keeping corals alive. and what the fish and coral dont eat i have shrimp and starfish and crabs that pick it up.
hope that answers it all i just hope that the hagan test kit is right cuz it dont make sense for how much i feed and the water i change out for the nitrates to b that high

florida joe

IMO your high readings were due to a bad test kit or improper testing procedure. As far as nitrates we must remember the reason for a high value is the lack of dinitrification via natural or mechanical. Your tank is basically a fish-less reef tank , that being said with the volume of water and small bio load I don’t think your high readings are legitimate
BTW how are you circulating the water within your tank

btwk12

i have a koralia 3 on one side and a 4 on the other side.that makes 2250 gph. i have 2 maxi jet 1200's that i dont use cuz it seemed like it was to much flow for some of the lower flow corals i have. i was thinking about putting one aiming down the back bottom side of the tank behind the lrso it would put more flow but not directly on the corals.I just got the skimmer last week and the only thing its pulling out is clear bubbles,i have been trying to adjust it, but it still does the same thing. i didnt buy it brand new so i dont have the instructions,and i have never ran a skimmer before. i just figured since i never ran a skimmer on this tank before it would b pulling a bunch of junk out.

flower

Originally Posted by btwk12
http:///forum/post/3287972
i have a koralia 3 on one side and a 4 on the other side.that makes 2250 gph. i have 2 maxi jet 1200's that i dont use cuz it seemed like it was to much flow for some of the lower flow corals i have. i was thinking about putting one aiming down the back bottom side of the tank behind the lrso it would put more flow but not directly on the corals.I just got the skimmer last week and the only thing its pulling out is clear bubbles,i have been trying to adjust it, but it still does the same thing. i didnt buy it brand new so i dont have the instructions,and i have never ran a skimmer before. i just figured since i never ran a skimmer on this tank before it would b pulling a bunch of junk out.

It takes a good month to break in a new skimmer, just keep tweaking it to get foam..the gunk will come...

beaslbob

http:///forum/post/3287848
whats the best way to keep nitrates down without a sump or refugium? i have a 125 gallon tank and i change 15 gallons a week, and i feed every 3 days. i run a hob filter, and a hob remora skimmer.

From what I hear:
Four methods
1) Let algae grow in the display.
2) Anaerobic methods like nitrate reactors and deap sea beds.
3) bacterial action with vodka dosing.
4) massive daily water changes of 100% or more.
Some of the above do not take care of phosphates, carbon dioxide and so on.
my .02

forcrz6

http:///forum/post/3287964
well i was testinfg with seachem test kits and it was sayin around 45-60 ppm so i got a hagen test kit this morning and tested and it said my nitrates were only somewhere around 5 ppm. which one do u think i should trust or should i try a 3rd test kit lol!
I do have a sand bed and when i change my water i stir up the sand to pull some waste out that way.
I also have snails that burrow beneath the sand (olive snails) to stir up the sand and eat some waste.
Its a reef tank so i feed the fish and corals, but i only have 2 fish cuz i have better luck keeping corals alive. and what the fish and coral dont eat i have shrimp and starfish and crabs that pick it up.
hope that answers it all i just hope that the hagan test kit is right cuz it dont make sense for how much i feed and the water i change out for the nitrates to b that high
When indoubt. Take your warter to the Local reef store and have them test it. You should then know what kit is not telling you the truth.