Captive Bred Dwarf Seahorses

leigh

Not sure if this thread is allowable. If not, I apologize in advance and i completely understand, mods, if you choose to delete it. However, while I would love to purchase captive bred ponies from swf.com as I have had nothing but good experiences in purchasing from this site, it appears that they do not sell them. So...I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to who to buy them from, (aside from ocean rider's pixies).
thanks!
-leigh

michaeltx

thats actually the only place that I know that specializes in them. the rest you actually risk them not eating frozen foods and actually being WC even though you want captive.
sorry I couldnt help but there are the only ones that I know of.
Mike

leigh

Michael, thanks. The only reason I'm hesitant about the pixies is I heard they require live brine and do not eat frozen mysis...does anyone know if this is true?

michaeltx

if I remember right they are one of the only ones they sell that wont eat frozen foods something about their size I beilive.
from there site.
Feed: Artemia, all stages, preferable newly hatched nauplii. Also various shrimp larvae such as Gammarus, Mysids, red shrimps and ghosts.
Recommended feeding regime for Ocean Rider ® Pixies - live baby brine shrimp enriched with Vibrance evry day. This is a nutritionally complete diet that our sea horses love and is easy to use. It will ensure long term survivability, high health, brilliant colors and a happy pet!
HTH
Mike

leigh

So...pixies are out...back to the drawing board...anyone with hookups on dwarf captive bred ponies?

lesleybird

Hi, Pygme's will only eat live, newly hatched brine shrimp or baby amphipods. Mysis are too big, as are full grown brine like you buy at LFS. They should be in a tank 10 gallons or as small as 5 gallons because in a larger tank it is not possible to get the food concentration high enough and they will starve. I have raised them before and can tell you where to get them if you like. Email me at Lesleybird1@yahoo.com if you want as I cannot list other sites on this board. Lesley

leigh

Wow, I guess I'd missed that in my research. I didn't realize there were no ponies that could be fed frozen foods. Does anyone know, is it possible in a 3 gal to maintain a sufficient pod population so as to require only periodic (say weekly) brine shrimp hatchings? Or is that just condemning the ponies?

michaeltx

I didn't realize there were no ponies that could be fed frozen foods
thats not completely true the smaller species they arent likely to eat feozen foods. the larger ones himpocampus comes for example can be trained to eat fozen foods. but to maintaine tham it needs to be vitamin enriched or the slowly starve. the reason they say babie brine is that they still have thier egg sacks with is ver nutrientenal for them. but the pxies and dwarfs alot of them cannt eat the frozen foods because its to big.
a great site for horese is seahorses.org is a specialized board that has been refered to alot on here becasue of their topics are for horses and other pipefish.
HTH
Mike

leigh

Thanks, yeah, I've been doing numerous searches of their board...and by 'pony' i just mean the dwarves--the size factor does make sense...

killafins

you are going to have the same problem with dwarves as ocean rider pixies. So if you can't suppor them you can't support the dwarves, srry :( ... look for a better species and a bigger tank :p

leigh

killafins, thanks, i've already ruled out dwarves for this very reason (you actually see me talk about it in my other thread you replied too :D ) thanks though, -leigh