carbon filters

mebanesox7

k i got a question that i think i know the answer but my sis thinks i'm wrong....
K here i go...ur not supposed to use a carbon filter with saltwater....am i right????

meisacao

I run carbon thru mine all the time to keep it clean. My fish supplier says it's great to do to keep the tank clear and after a year, I've had no problems with it. The carbon has to be changed more often than what you change in a freshwater tank though.

ams153

im not sure but you may be thinking about copper as something that you dont want to run in yer tank.. as it can kill some things! i made that mistake when i first started out! carbon makes the water nice and clear! i change mine 2 times a month or so though!

mebanesox7

guess my sis was right...im glad shes right now i don't have to worry about buying a new one...saves me time and money..thx for the help

mrdc

Well you both can be right. Some folks never use it, while some do at times and some run it all the time. Basically I don't think there is a right answer unless you are trying to remove a medication or element like copper or if you are having a cloudiness issue.