carbon in a reef tank?

saltyrich

You any of you recommend carbon media in your filters for reef tanks? If so, how often do you replace it? What about replacing filter pads?

javajoe

I do not have any mechanical filtration in my reef except for a protein skimmer. i usually put a bag of activated carbon in my tank for a week once a month. i just use a filter bag, and place it in direct current. it seems to help clear up the water and help with the algae.

obx fish

That's a tricky one...Everyone has their own opinion. As for us we have carbon in our emperor filters. Some people told us to stay away from it and some said go for it. The best thing you can do is read the benefits of it and look it to the drawbacks from using it and come up with your own preference. We're starting to learn the best way to learn is take all the advice you can and then come up with your own conclusion! :)

tidepool

I use it. I've read that its good in tanks with stuff that release A bunch of slime. I change mine whenever I put in some new slimey inverts or corals, thats when they seem to put out a bunch of mucous.

frankl15207

Lately I've been reading more that the high grade carbons for marine tanks remove "trace amounts of trace elements but not enough to disrupt the chemistry of the tank."
That aside, you need to weigh the benefits and drawbacks of it and make the decision for yourself. If it's to improve good conditions and make them better, then go for it and watch the inhabitants of the tank for any changes in behaviour. If it is to fix bad management practices, then those need to be addressed directly. In that case carbon is only a temporary fix, not a long term solution.