carbon question?

buckey

I runn a 50 gallon fish only tank with a trigger, tang, majestic angel and damsel. My filter is a fluval 303 and i was wondering how often i should change the carbon. Can i just rinse it with tank water or must it be new every time. Also how often would a person want to change or rince the sponge? I am pretty new to this so any info would. Maybe i shouldn't even be useing a fluval i dont know? Thank you?

bobber

Every two weeks is a good idea. Carbon cannot be rinsed. As for the sponge, I do not have a fluval, but I don't think rinsing in cold water would hurt it any, then replacing it after 4-6 months. Someone with a fluval would know better, but I hope this helps. By the way, fluvals are great filters. HTH--Bob

pufferlover

When I had my fluval I would change the carbon every month when I cleaned the cannister. Carbon looses its abilities within a few days anyway so to rinse it does nothing and to change it to often costs more money. I just always change my carbon in whatever filter I am cleaning when I clean it.

salttrigger

I got a fluval 404 and I replace the carbon every month after water change.This will help to keep the water clear.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Canister filters are a source of nitrate accumulation if they are not cleaned often. Carbon is only good for about 2 weeks as a mechanical filter, after that your mechancial cleansing capacity is diminished and the carbon itself will turn into a biological filter---here is where the nitrates get started.
Likewise, the sponge [and any other filter media you have in there] will work fine for about 2 weeks as a mechancial filtration. After that, it starts developing into a biological filter, resulting in accumulation of higher nitrates. This being the case, I would recommend to keep your fluval solely as a mechanical filter and clean it up every 2 wks.
You can rinse out the sponge with clean tap water, squeeze it, then replace it in the canister.

oceanblue

I am in total agreement with Beth, only to add a couple clarifications(due to my normal anal self). I would say 2 weeks for carbon but only the real high end stuff, everything else is around 3-7 days. I have a fluval404 and two magnum 350's that are still in use on my freshwater tanks. the foam should be well rinsed..and I mean well rinsed, it takes me like 5-10mins of just constant running water and squeezing it out, to get it to the point where there is only small debris coming out. I always rinse everything but my "bio balls" or whatever similar media is in there, with tap and try to get it as clean as possible, then put the plastic cartridges back in and fill it back up with water, add some dechlor, and snap the lid on.
What she says about becoming a nitrate sponge is 100% right on, two weeks is about all I can get out of them in salt, and maybe 3 in a freshwater scenario. Those filters were designed with freshwater in mind, I know the same principals apply to both sides, but their use in a marine environment is risky at best if they are your primary filtration source. I'm not saying it can't be done as I ran a fish only tank with my fluval and a 350(56Gal)and they did ok, but I'll also admit it was the most maintenance I've ever had to do with a tank. Needless to say I switched away to a wet/dry. Anyway, you'll be fine, just stay on top of maintenance and use carbon as much as possible! I would recommend switching to another filter when you can though. Good Luck, Dave ;)