Carbon

crt81

I need to replace my carbon in my 12 gallon aquapod and I'm not sure how much I need!
Also do I need to get any particular type of carbon?
-OR- Would any type/brand work?

miaheatlvr

Originally Posted by crt81
I need to replace my carbon in my 12 gallon aquapod and I'm not sure how much I need!

Also do I need to get any particular type of carbon?
-OR- Would any type/brand work?

I use and my friend who has a 24g pod use CHEMI-PURE!

crt81

Originally Posted by MiaHeatLvr
I use and my friend who has a 24g pod use CHEMI-PURE!

How much? Can I over dose? (new to this hobby!)

anonome

Chemi-pure is the way to go, I have recently switched to chemi-pure elite. This helps with phosphates and silicates. It has been 12 days since I switched and can't see much of a difference, but I know that if I don't rinse my frozen food enough the "elite" part will help with the phosphates.
If you are using a carbon, and have some on hand make sure it is reef safe....this is the higher quality carbon. Be sure to change it at least every 14-21 days for optimum effects. As far as how much? Half cup should suffice, as long as it is changed in a timely fashion. Not the usual as for a freshwater tank. It clogs up much faster in saltwater.

crt81

Originally Posted by Anonome
Chemi-pure is the way to go, I have recently switched to chemi-pure elite. This helps with phosphates and silicates. It has been 12 days since I switched and can't see much of a difference, but I know that if I don't rinse my frozen food enough the "elite" part will help with the phosphates.
If you are using a carbon, and have some on hand make sure it is reef safe....this is the higher quality carbon. Be sure to change it at least every 14-21 days for optimum effects. As far as how much? Half cup should suffice, as long as it is changed in a timely fashion. Not the usual as for a freshwater tank. It clogs up much faster in saltwater.

When you say a 1/2 cup of carbon to be changed in a timely fashion, if it isn't will it do harm? Or will the strongness of the carbon just ware off?
Should carbon be left in the tank always or just when you need it?
Just for my knowledge- can you over dose? And is their many strenghths of carbon or just one kind of strenghth?

anonome

Originally Posted by crt81
When you say a 1/2 cup of carbon to be changed in a timely fashion, if it isn't will it do harm? Or will the strongness of the carbon just ware off?
Just for my knowledge- can you over dose? And is their many strenghths of carbon or just one kind of strenghth?
Carbon can begin to leech back into the tank what it has taken out.....not good, you never seem to get rid of the bad organics this way.
As far as the strongness, not sure where you are going with this, but cheaper carbon....dollarstore type, effectiveness is like a few hours. Reef carbon is usually cylindar in shape and holds onto what it is absorbing as long as it is changed out within its exasperation point. This is usually within 3 wks it is exasted. This is why you do not need to use too much. Because you are changing it out frequently. This is the key in using carbon effectively.