Cardinalfish Breeding

torontofishlove

Hi All,
I am a HS student, who has just gotten into the hobby. I plan to get a pair of cardinals for my tank.
I have hired an "aquarium man" to build my tank, as I am new to the hobby.
How do you know when you are buying them that you are buying a male/female?
What type of "second tank" do you need for the babies?
For my display tank, I have UV sterilizer/protein skimmer/filter/heater/pump etc., do I need all these in the tank for the babies?
The man is charging 4000 for a 55 gallon, so I do not want to spend a lot of extra money on the second tank.
Do you need to feed them live food, or would crushed fish flakes work?
I don't really have the space to get rotifers or hatch shrimp etc.
Also could I sell them after they are born? How long do you have to "grow" them before you can sell them?
Sorry for the questions, but I think it would be awesome to breed these guys!
Andrew

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoFishLove http:///t/395057/cardinalfish-breeding#post_3516487
Hi All,
I am a HS student, who has just gotten into the hobby. I plan to get a pair of cardinals for my tank.
I have hired an "aquarium man" to build my tank, as I am new to the hobby.
How do you know when you are buying them that you are buying a male/female?
What type of "second tank" do you need for the babies?
For my display tank, I have UV sterilizer/protein skimmer/filter/heater/pump etc., do I need all these in the tank for the babies?
The man is charging 4000 for a 55 gallon, so I do not want to spend a lot of extra money on the second tank.
Do you need to feed them live food, or would crushed fish flakes work?
I don't really have the space to get rotifers or hatch shrimp etc.
Also could I sell them after they are born? How long do you have to "grow" them before you can sell them?
Sorry for the questions, but I think it would be awesome to breed these guys!
Andrewp>
I don't know much about breeding... But I would gladly drive to Toronto and set you up a 55g tank if you wanted to pay me $4000.00. And I would buy you dinner too.

I guess that is my way of saying that $4000.00 for a 55 is a little high. But if you got the $$ why not??
You could probably save $2000, by doing a little research and setting it up yourself you can save a ton of money. Just check out some local forums and see if anyone is selling off old equipment.

torontofishlove

It is expensive, but I am getting quite a nice tank.
Heater, UV Sterilizer, Automatic top off etc., Skimmers, Auto-feeder, filters, 500$ lights etc...
Not to mention a custom built built in stand (1000)...
When I think about it, I have invested quite a bit into this, so I better get some baby cardinals!
Any answers to the questions?

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoFishLove http:///t/395057/cardinalfish-breeding#post_3516500
It is expensive, but I am getting quite a nice tank.
Heater, UV Sterilizer, Automatic top off etc., Skimmers, Auto-feeder, filters, 500$ lights etc...
Not to mention a custom built built in stand (1000)...
When I think about it, I have invested quite a bit into this, so I better get some baby cardinals!
Any answers to the questions?
Sounds like it will be a nice system. Like I said, if you got the money... Why not.. It would not be my choice, but that's what makes this hobby great. There are a lot of different ways of going about setting up a tank.
The only answers to your questions I can give is that the grow out tank should be very basic. I don't believe that you need much for filtration (the little babies will get sucked up in a HOB power filter). You do need to grow out the rotifers or hatch shrimp (you may be able to buy them but IDK if any LFS around will sell them). You cannot feed the babies flake food. The grow out tank could be something simple like a 10g tank. You will have to research if you can sell the babies in your area.
What kind of cardinals are you planning on getting?? PJ, bangaii, other??
For the main system a UV sterilizer is a waste of $$ IMO. But to each their own.