Carnation coral help needed

cgj

Hi guys, I bought a really nice carnation coral yesterday... its pinkish with a white stalk, roughly 2 inches tall. He seemed to be fine after I put him the tank, I put him on the bottom, off the the side, so his light is very minor.
This morning he seems to have shrunk down to about half his original size, im not sure if he's sick or what I can do to help him...

perfectdark

Unfortunatly there is nothing you can do. For the moment it is nothing more than just deflated and after your lights are on and if there is flow on it, then you will see it inflate and look healthy. The downside is this coral is most certainly going to die. What the LFS dont tell you either because they dont know or they dont care is the carnation coral is nearly impossible to keep alive in captivity due to its feeding requirements. This coral is found on steep shelves or places where it over hangs drop offs on coral reefs. Where there are huge up wells of current constantly suppling the coral with nutrients and food. The amount assumed to be need is a bioload size that our aquariums cannot handle. Even the most advanced reefers cannot keep them alive for more than a few months. IMO take it back for your sake, these corals shouldnt be allowed to be taken off the reefs..

cgj

Originally Posted by PerfectDark
Unfortunatly there is nothing you can do. For the moment it is nothing more than just deflated and after your lights are on and if there is flow on it, then you will see it inflate and look healthy. The downside is this coral is most certainly going to die. What the LFS dont tell you either because they dont know or they dont care is the carnation coral is nearly impossible to keep alive in captivity due to its feeding requirements. This coral is found on steep shelves or places where it over hangs drop offs on coral reefs. Where there are huge up wells of current constantly suppling the coral with nutrients and food. The amount assumed to be need is a bioload size that our aquariums cannot handle. Even the most advanced reefers cannot keep them alive for more than a few months. IMO take it back for your sake, these corals shouldnt be allowed to be taken off the reefs..

Ah hell. Ive only had him less than a day and he's destined to die? I figured I was gonna move him to a more shadowy cave area... LFS stated to keep him on the bottom and depending on how he was doing, move him to a cave if he still didnt look good.

jonthefishguy

For the most part, PERFECTDARK is right. However, there are some of us that can actually keep them alive for years. Place them underneath away from light and with a steady current blowing very near him but not on it to batter it.

perfectdark

Again they are basing their advise on the fact that they are non photosynthetic, and have no working knowledge of the specime. They are nonphotosynthetic but thats not the reason why it wont thrive. Good luck.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by jonthefishguy
For the most part, PERFECTDARK is right. However, there are some of us that can actually keep them alive for years. Place them underneath away from light and with a steady current blowing very near him but not on it to batter it.

I have had one for about 2 months and did exactly that..still withered away to nothing.. I am curious though and would be interested if there has been sucess with these. I think they are awesome and very colorful. If there is any more advise for keeping one I am all ears....All the stuff I have read and seen have all ended in failure. Although I have not read and or seen everything.

jonthefishguy

Originally Posted by PerfectDark
I have had one for about 2 months and did exactly that..still withered away to nothing.. I am curious though and would be interested if there has been sucess with these. I think they are awesome and very colorful. If there is any more advise for keeping one I am all ears....All the stuff I have read and seen have all ended in failure. Although I have not read and or seen everything.

I can only tell you that after a few that deteriorated, placing them under a medium current, no or very very little lighting, and feed live phyto twice a week, seems to do the trick. Many people i know,including myself have them and are doing fine. At the same time, I know others that are not having the luck, but after taking a look at their tank, you can see signs of neglegance.

cgj

I just moved mine to a cave on the opposite side, so now it gets very little light. I'll feed phyto in about a half hour, but right now its shrunk so small its roughly 1/4 its size when i bought him. The LFS had him for a few weeks and every day I was in there it looked very good. They spot fed him 2-3 times a week and kept him under PC lights.
BTW, conditions for me are:
ammonia, nitrite and nitrate- 0 (niiiiceeeee)
SG 1.024
Temp 80 f.
Calcium 400
Also, PH 8.2

cgj

Returned carnation coral for credit and got a nice healthy hammer coral instead. A pity the carnation wasnt going to live much longer with me...