Carpet Anemone eating clown?

leboeuf

Anyone ever had this happen? I bought a rather large green carpet anemone (8 in) last week to add to my 2.5 yr old tank. I have had this marroon clown (2 in) for the beter part of two years. As soon as I added the carpet, the clown left his leather and took residency in the carpet. This morning, no clown and my cleaner shrimp are staked out at the perimeter of the carpet like there's some food around..........
What are the chances the carpet ate my clown???

promisetbg

Originally posted by LeBoeuf
What are the chances the carpet ate my clown???

99.9%
Sorry for your loss..but it's almost certain that's what happened.The clownfish has to have the nematocysts from the anemone to keep it from stinging it.Basicly then the anemone considers the clown a part of itself.Hungry anemone-new fish in it's tentacles=lunch

leboeuf

I agree except the clown has been hosting in there for over three days. She would have had the nematocysts by now, right????? Crap!

T

thomas712

Well it is possible that the carpet ate your clown, it happens. And it can take 3 months to fully acclimate to an anemone, but not by a clownfish collecting nematocysts, its more of a mucus thing.

leboeuf

it happened again... I replaced my marron clown with another and he is gone. The carpet is crusing all over the tank too. I thought once they were fed well they would stay stationary???? What am I doing wrong. Two clowns in a month! Expensive diet.....

spitfire

Originally Posted by Blemmy_Guy
buy ya a big old cinamon clown, he will be to big to eat! todd
May be, but size won't stop a deadly sting.

dogstar

I wonder if the anemone is actually a hosting anemone or if it was misidintified. Are you sure about the species ???

chunks

get a saddleback clown, theyre generally hardy and host well with carpet anemones.
And post pics of the anemone.