Carpet anemone Split?

mobikobeyob

Well do they?
It looks as if mine is splitting, but I may just be dreaming. any info on this would be great! thanks!
Mobi:D

attml

In general Carpet Anemone's (s. haddoni, s. gigantea & s. mertensii) do not split naturally (Your's most likely being s. haddoni). As they grow there will be gaps on their disc where there are no tentecles but that is normal. I have only ever seen one carpet that was split accidentally by a falling rock and I never saw whether the two parts recovered long term.

mobikobeyob

Thanks for the replys. Maybe it is just on the move, but the base Really oblong, like two stumps. i will try to get a pic today. How much is too much food for a 12" Carpet?
Waterfaller, I will see you there soon, I will leave my wallet at home though. lol:D
Happy Memorial Day!!!! :D

attml

If they don't reproduce by splitting..how DO they
They reproduce sexually:
Here is a quote from the Wakkiki Aquarium on Anemone Sexual Reproduction
"Sexual reproduction involves the production of eggs and sperm by the anemones themselves, there is no separate medusa (jellyfish) stage that produces eggs and sperm as in the life cycle of hydroids and sea jellies. Depending upon the species, sea anemones may have separate sexes, either male or female (dioecious), or a single individual may contain both male and female reproductive organs (hermaphroditic). And, depending upon species, sperm and eggs may either be released into the seawater in broadcast spawning, or sperm released by the male may fertilize eggs held within the female anemone's body. The anemone larval stage, called the planula, is a solid ball of cells. Hair-like cilia on its surface propel it over the bottom or up into the water. When the planula finds a suitable surface, it adheres to the bottom and changes form to become a young polyp with mouth, tentacles, and gut."

benj2112

Originally posted by Mobikobeyob
How much is too much food for a 12" Carpet?

I don't know if you are actually feeding too much. I don't have one yet as I am still doing my research on anemone (so this is just coming from a book called Host Sea Anemone Secrets) but I think they need to be fed a good amount.
If the thing is growning too big then reduce the feeding so that it doesn't grow as much, but stays in good condition.

tsl

They don't need to be feed a good amount on a regular basis.
I rarely feed mine. Months go by without me actually hand feeding it. It does pick up fish food and the clowns also supply it with nutrients. Everyone that I know of who has overfeed anemones wind up losing them within a year. I have had the same anemone for 7 years now. What they need more than anything is strong light.

benj2112

Originally posted by TSL
I rarely feed mine. Months go by without me actually hand feeding it. It does pick up fish food and the clowns also supply it with nutrients. Everyone that I know of who has overfeed anemones wind up losing them within a year. I have had the same anemone for 7 years now. What they need more than anything is strong light.

I am not saying you are wrong (especially as you have successfully kept yours for 7 years and I just have a book), but that is almost the exact opposite of what Dr. Ron Shimek says in "Host Sea Anemone Secrets".
"These species need to be fed, and for good health often need to be fed a LOT (capitalized and bolded in text)."
"The zooxanthellate anemones need light, but don't need exceptionally bright light; most will do well in a moderately-lit aquarium."
"Much more critical to the animal's well being is the provision of acceptable substrate."
One last long quote...
"Even though all of these sea anemones are zooxanthellate, light intensity plays a relatively minor role in their husbandry. Unlike corals which are getting the majority of their caloric intake from their zooxanthellae, these anemones get most of their nutrition from the food they eat. The nutrition they obtain from their zooxanthellae is useful, and proabably unnesessary if they are well-fed, but it is there as a safeguard when food is not available in the appropriate amounts. This means that a lot of the angst that aquarists seem to have when they discuss corals and light is unnecessary with these anemones. They do not do really well in exceptionally bright light, nor in very dim sutuations, but just about every value in between is fine. Likewise, the color of the light in not terribly important for the anemone."
So, with that I am wondering what all you experienced anemone keepers think about those statements? What is generally thought about Dr. Ron and his anemone research conclusions?

mobikobeyob

Originally posted by TSL

I guess that would depend on the species of anemone.
This guy needs to eat every other day, otherwise he will shrivel up like he is starving. He may be eating this much because he is still recovering from LFS neglect. He has never spit back up his meal either, this tells me he is being fed a proper amount. Also if you don't feed a carpet enough he will help himself your livestock. from what I understand they are big eaters, and fast growers.
Mobi
:D

tsl

This is the complete opposite of my experience and my carpet anemone has not eaten anything in my tank since the first year I had it - and I have everything from fish to shrimp to crabs in this tank.

mobikobeyob

No, it is a sad pic though eh?
I have a red sea Sailfin Tang that may end up that way. he has been getting way too close lately. it is almost like he is making sure my clown isn't hiding food in there.
Here are some pics from today.