Cash & Treasures

ophiura

Anyone else watch this show?
I'm still undecided on the new host...the old one is pregnant with twins. At least she had a good reason to go

I've always been fascinated by trying to find stuff. Secretly I've always wanted a good metal detector. I live in an area where I could probably find some decent stuff, as Sam Houston camped in this area before meeting Santa Ana at San Jacinto. But I am also keen on minerals.
I've been to Crater of Diamonds in Arkansas (no luck). I've found some nice rocks and fossils but not anything "WHOA!"
Does anyone have interesting stories or "finds?"

reefreak29

Never watched it but it sounds interesting. When we were kids we used to look for arrow heads ive found 3. also the first home i purchased that was built in 1919 had a bunch of old newspapers between the subfloor and the lanolium, mostly from 1930 ish lots of stuff on capone and musileny(sp)

zeke92

yes i love this show. i wanted to go to a gold place somewhere for my father/child vacation because of this show. but i decided to go to florida and get some saltwater stuff and go look at this to the beach.

if only i had a filter...i coulda came home with a bright red starfish

zeke92

Originally Posted by reefreak29
Never watched it but it sounds interesting. When we were kids we used to look for arrow heads ive found 3. also the first home i purchased that was built in 1919 had a bunch of old newspapers between the subfloor and the lanolium, mostly from 1930 ish lots of stuff on capone and musileny(sp)
woh, you should scan some of those on here. bet those were cool to read if they weren't too faded. but no light on them may have helped

reefreak29

Originally Posted by zeke92
woh, you should scan some of those on here. bet those were cool to read if they weren't too faded. but no light on them may have helped

yes they looked perfect, unfortunatly i didnt keep them

zeke92

....you atleast sold them right?
you coulda sold those for a bunch on ---- to collectors....

reefreak29

they didnt have e--- back then and no I think I threw them out after I read them. wish i had them now thuogh , but i dont think there worth much

jerthunter

Is that on the Discovery channel or something? Unfortunately I do not have cable anymore so I am stuck watching broadcast TV.
I have never really gone searching for anything interesting but maybe someday if I get a chance I will go fossil hunting.

ophiura

Yeah, it is on like Travel Channel or something. One of them.
I think I would love to search the Atocha...which was one of the shows they did. Fossil hunting is pretty fun for the most part, except with particularly sharp shales. I miss being in NY, I had loads of fossils just in my front yard. Best course I took at uni was a invert paleo course because we had lots of field trips

My husband found a nice

[hr]
tip at one point, but other than that I don't think we have much.

bigarn

I found a few mercury head dimes years ago using my friends metal detector in a park. It was strange ... I found 4 of them within 10 yds. of each other.
Three weeks later the same friend found vintage WWII unexploded ordinance on a beach at Sandy Hook here in jersey. He wasn't alone, other people with metal detectors were finding them up and down this stretch of beach.
As it turned out a few years after WWII the government buried them there instead of getting rid of them the right way .... they were from Fort Hancock, a military installation on Sandy Hook used to protect NY harbor during the war.
I'll stick to the dimes.

stdreb27

I found an oddessy putter in the rough of a golf course yesterday. That was cool. But two holes later I found a guy driving backwards looking for a putter so I didn't keep it.

coral keeper

Originally Posted by alix2.0
i found a TV in a dumpster one time. its currently in my room. works great.

Lucky you!

natemd

Growing up I lived in Sharpsburg, right by Antietam Battlefield, so we would always find like bullets and such in our yard. Back in the good ol days when kids would go dig holes in the back yard to pass time.