~~catch your own

saltn00b

anyone gone out to reefs and caught your own fish to put in your tank? im in S. Florida and have access to a boat that i wouldnt mind doing that in. What are some strategies? what do i need , equipment wise? what do i need to know? any opinions or insight into this would be appreciated!

ophiura

First and foremost remember that you should NEVER RETURN WHAT YOU CATCH TO THE WILD. With this in mind, only take things that you can house long term (eg avoid jacks, grunts, grouper, many triggers, angels, remora). Anything you do not have room for in the future, IMO, you are obligated to destroy. Returning them runs the risk of introducing pathogens from other parts of the world (especially when kept with indo pacific fish).
Get a fishing permit, and know the regulated species in the area.

nikolai

Don't take from reefs.... it is so mean to the fish. I like the aquacultured fish as they don't know how much nicer real reefs are than tanks (Which they are). Don't get me wrong, some tanks are amazing, but no tank can compare to the real thing. Please buy your fish from the store.

kypitbull

thier is a fish store around were i live and they make tons of trips and catch maybe 10% of the fish they sell

ophiura

Originally posted by nikolai
Don't take from reefs.... it is so mean to the fish. I like the aquacultured fish as they don't know how much nicer real reefs are than tanks (Which they are). Don't get me wrong, some tanks are amazing, but no tank can compare to the real thing. Please buy your fish from the store.

Well, really not from the store unless it says "aquacultured" or "tank raised." I agree with that part - buy tank raised. But otherwise most fish sold at the store are wild caught, and it can be easily argued that it would be more humane to not have them being transferred through multiple facilities in transit. In addition, it is quite doubtful that most fish "remember" the wild. They have instincts and behaviors that are consistent and may be misinterpreted as some memory (eg the need to swim for tangs, or defend a territory for damsels), but their "memory" for the wild (as in leading to depression) is not likely to be that long.
The whole reason certain fish can be bred in captivity is because they are adapting well to a suitable captive environment. If they were longing for the wild, this wouldn't happen.
My primary thing is that you can no release what you catch, so follow the law, do some research, go after particular fish, and be responsible in what you bring home.

fishnerd

When I lived in So Fla, I used to catch my own fish. Make sure you have a saltwater license, and follow the sizing rules. DO NOT F*** with the FWC, they will confiscate your dive gear, boat, etc. if you break the law.
I agree with Ophiura, in reference to making sure you will be able to keep the animals, and also remember it is VERY illegal to release animals into the wild in Florida, even if you caught it and no longer want it.
As far as ethics go, I saw myself as just one more predator on the reef. Whats the difference between my net and a grouper or cuda eating a fish?
Where are you? Monroe, Dade, Broward or Palm Beach. I might be able to give you some spots to go.

fishnerd

All you need is a resident saltwater fishing license.
As I said before, don't break the law. You can catch your OWN fish, but cannot sell them. There are strict laws on sizes of ornamentals, and quantity caught. The FWC is especially strict on angels, almost as strict as they are on lobsters. Don't get caught with a Queen Angel thats 1/4" too big or too small, and no, I'm not exaggerating on "1/4 inch". They will confiscate your dive gear, boat, etc.

fishybiz

First I want to point out to Nikolai that if done in a humane way, catching juvies in the wild and putting them into a large, well-maintained tank is in not cruel. Even many of the commercial fishermen who are catching them for the lfs's are being much more humane and going through proper decompression measures, etc., than ever before. More than 50-60% of fish in an lfs are wild caught unless they are associated with a large breeding facility, which most are NOT. In addition, MANY SW fish still do not breed in captivity, therefore, where else would they come from? And I have seen the condition of the reefs out there very recently. NOT a pretty site.
Second, I agree with Ophiura about not returning them to the wild. Aside from the parasite issue, they adapt very well to being well fed and may not re-acclimate very well to living in the wild again.
And what Fishnerd said is also true. Under the Blue Heron bridge I have seen at least 3 to 4 kinds of shrimp, a HUGE lobster, fish all over the place, sea cukes, crabs, all sorts of critters. BUT, it can be a NASTY current so check the tide charts before planning the trip. Also, if you see a light green fin just hangin around, give me a yell, I lost it there about a year ago.
They were my favorite pair!

cjason3041

wow i live by va beach and never would have thought about catching my own fish, but then i don't dive... bad sinus probs.. what is FWC, and why can't you put back what you have already taken????:thinking:

ophiura

They are those nice officers at Fish & Wildlife....
You can not put back what you caught for a variety of reasons (nor should you EVER release something not found in the area).
When you keep fish in captivity, they can be exposed to pathogens that they would not normally encounter (eg being kept with indo pacific fish). This could release it into the wild population and cause trouble. As mentioned, you are also feeding them prepared foods and they no longer eat natural foods or hunt...similar to releasing other domesticated animals which often can not fend for themselves. Their instincts may be 'replaced' in effect. A responsible hobbyist, IMO, is obligated to destroy any animal they can not find a home for, rather than rereleasing it to the wild. Which is why you shouldn't catch what you can't provide a home for.

cjason3041

ahh i see thank you.... don't worry the only fish i catch are in the lfs or online and they go in tank, or i sometimes catch some in the grocery and these get cooked..

harlequin

During the summer months i usually set up a wildcaught only tank. I have no problems letting go native fish when they are either too big or too mean. Usually flake is not something they will eat and I end up feeding them live grass shrimp and pods so the the food issue is not an issue. They are not going to transmit any diseases they dont normally get if you dont expose them to any.

ophiura

If you are setting up a separate system with local fauna (no live rock from the pacific, etc), with local temperatures and water conditions, and add no "foreign" fish or otherwise...then it is a relatively different issue.