Catching fish in your reef tank?

}phillyfish>

Does anybody have a good way to catch fish in your DT to put them in your QT ? I need to Hypo the fish for ick and and I don't want to remove your live rock? Rather get thoes little suckers out and put them in the QT.

fau8

Okay, this worked for me. I was able to get a damsel and dottyback out using this method in under 15 minutes.
I purchased a piece of clear plexiglass and cut it down to fit inside my tank from top to bottom and cut a 3-4 " hole in the center of the piece. (you will need a rotary tool to do this) I would then put the plexi in at a 45 degree angle to one of the tank corners.
I would then have a second piece of plex ready to slide in and cover the hole cut in the center.
I used live brime shrimp introduced to the chamber that I created within the tank. Once the fish I wanted to remove entered to feed I blocked his exit with the second piece of plexi, and then netted him.
One thing I found it to be more effective to introduce the food with the tank pumps off. It kept the food from dispersing through the cut out hole.

9supratt4

Does one of your fish have Ick?? Or all of them?? How many fish do you have and how many are you taking out??

}phillyfish>

Not a bad idea . I know I saw a post on the boards the other day and somebody did something with a soda bottle and had a diagram? I was told to remove all the fish and put them in hypo in my QT and leave the DT fishless for a month . I have to pull out 4 Damsels and one Maroon Gold Stripe Clown. It going to be one hard task.

jpa0741

If you are dealing with a smaller tank. The easiest way I have found to get all fish out is to create a couple low spots (bowls) in your sand out front and drain the water from your tank into a holding container. Drain the water down to an inch or so and your fish will collect in these low spots. Then just scoop out, pump the mater back in. Traps will work but could take a long time to get all of them.

dragonboy

If you got night vision goggles that works hahaha... They tend to stay in one places in the dark so easy to net them. But still tricky as they can detect motion in the water.

9supratt4

Originally Posted by }PhillyFish>
http:///forum/post/2942010
Not a bad idea . I know I saw a post on the boards the other day and somebody did something with a soda bottle and had a diagram? I was told to remove all the fish and put them in hypo in my QT and leave the DT fishless for a month . I have to pull out 4 Damsels and one Maroon Gold Stripe Clown. It going to be one hard task.
You were right!! Having Ick sucks!! The only way to get rid of it is to let the tank go fishless for a month to month and a half.

ebob954

take out the rock. it's really the best way. It might be alot of work but the results are fun when your tak look completly different.

mx mr bean

I just pulled out my flame angel that started to eat my corals with the bottle method. It take a little bit of patience but it works best since it doesnt stress your other fish out by waving a net around. And taking rock out can be a big project when you have lots of it. I couldnt see taking all my rock out to catch fish when there are much easier methods. Btw the bottle i bought today was a 2 liter sceltzer water bottle from publix for like $1. Good luck with the catching.