Catshark and grouper for sale, South Florida

tony44

I just bought a big tank, and was planning on making it into a reef tank in the future. The tank came with a catshark, that is about a 1 1/2 feet long, and a leaflip grouper, also known as soapfish, that is about 7 inches long.
Asking for $200 obo for the catshark, and $50 obo for the grouper, if you want both we can workout a deal.
I am located in South Florida, and would really prefer local pickup, since it would be pretty hard to ship fish this size. Will ship to a warm climate if I cant find anyone in my area willing to pick this up.
For more pics, or questions email me at Tony4424@hotmail.com
Or call 561-704-3794

tony44

Anyone interested in this shark?
I need to get rid of it ASAP, someone please make me an offer.
And could someone please tell me how to post pictures on here?
Thanks

tony44

I havent ever shipped a fish before, but how much do you think shipping for a fish this size would cost?

lion_crazz

Wow, shipping will definitely cost a lot for the shark. I would also be nervous to send the soapfish, since they can emit a slime when stressed.
Unfortunately, PM's have been disabled on the message board due to abusive posters.

tony44

Thats sucks.
How much do you think it would cost to ship this? And how much water would it need?
When I moved it, I put it in a 5 gallon bucket, with a good aerator, and it had a little room to swim around. Ofcourse, it was only in the bucket for about an hour, alot less than how long it would be in there for shipping.

lion_crazz

Right. You would have to ship it in a styrofoam box. Let me try to see if I can figure out the shipping for you.

lion_crazz

Okay well I just went to Fed Ex and entered my zip and a zip code of north Florida (32165) to give you a rough idea. I did some rough calculations because I do not know how much water you would need because I do not know how much water would fill a box enough for a 1.5 foot shark to fit into comfortably for 6-12 hours. Here is what I came up with.
Let's start by saying that a gallon of water is 8 lbs. That part is fact.
Assuming the weight of the package was 40 lbs., which is 5 gallons of water and I am not even considering the weight of the fish, overnight would be $146 and 2 day delivery would be $87.
If the package was 45 lbs, with 5.3 gallons of water and fish weighing 2-3 pounds, overnight would be $160 and 2 day would be $95.

lion_crazz

If you were to ship it to someone as close as Georgia, you would still unfortunately pay $84 for overnight and $59 for 2 day.
Regardless, good luck on finding the fish a good home. Have you tried listing it in the local papers or maybe asking the LFS if they know anyone with a large tank looking for a beautiful large shark?

tony44

I guess the newspaper will be the next place I try.
I asked one of the LFSs if they could give me anything for it. They said they would give me $35, store credit. And they sell catshark eggs for $40. I laughed.
Really ticked me off. I was at Big Al's, dont know if you have heard of it. They said a shark that is about the size of mine goes for around $100 wholesale, and thats WHEN they come in, which isnt often. Just pisses me off that another place would tell me they can only give me $35, and in store credit.

ninjamini

try your local marine club
craigs list
the famous internet bid site
But Most people dont pay for fish from folks. I dont know why but I have always had trouble selling fish. I'd trade it in to the LFS and be done with it.

Originally Posted by Tony44
I guess the newspaper will be the next place I try.
I asked one of the LFSs if they could give me anything for it. They said they would give me $35, store credit. And they sell catshark eggs for $40. I laughed.
Really ticked me off. I was at Big Al's, dont know if you have heard of it. They said a shark that is about the size of mine goes for around $100 wholesale, and thats WHEN they come in, which isnt often. Just pisses me off that another place would tell me they can only give me $35, and in store credit.

try jewels from the sea he is a awesome guy and i,am sure he could help you out i belive they are on forest hill they are really cool and helpful

tony44

Thanks, but I already asked Jewels from the sea. The guy said he wouldnt be interested, I dont think they have a big enough tank to put the fish in anyways.
And Ninjamini, you said famous internet bidsite, are you talking about aquabid, or ----?
Thanks