caulerpa in main tank

glinton

Is caulerpa okay to have in your main show tank? I may be getting some for free (cha-ching), and wanted to check first if it is okay.
Thanks!

nacl-h2o

If you don't have something in there that eats it, it usually gets out of control and becomes a maintanece problem. That's why people use it in sumps and refugia, and this is what I would recomend unless your putting in there to feed something.

jim672

I bought some grape caulerpa that my hermit crabs made very short work of. If I had known I was buying a salad for the crabs, I never would have bought it! :mad:
Jim

nacl-h2o

That is the first time I've ever heard of hermits eating caulerpa. None of mine have ever touched it either.

jim672

Obviously I was surprised too. It was a good sized bunch of it and they devored it in less than a day!!
Jim

eddie g

Originally posted by jim672
I bought some grape caulerpa that my hermit crabs made very short work of. If I had known I was buying a salad for the crabs, I never would have bought it! :mad:
Jim

That's good for me to know. I just bought some grape caulpera on an ---- auction. I'll try floating some in a 10 gal tank I have running. And put a little at a time in my main tank for the crabs and maybe tangs. Thanks.
Eddie G

jim672

Dan,
I have both red and blue leg hermits. They both seemed to enjoy the grape caulerpa. I bought kind of a mixed bunch of caulerpa; there was alot of grape and some other light green that I can't identify on a "frame" of , I believe it's called, razor caulerpa. The crabs haven't bothered anything other than the grape.
Jim