CB Angelfish jumped out of tank... New fish suggestions.

My favorite fish, a Coral Beauty angelfish, recently jumped out of my tank while I was asleep recently. I was pretty upset, because this fish had given me no problems and really seemed to enjoy the environment I provided for him.
I have been doing research before replacing him, and not sure if I want another angelfish, or if I should try another kind. Here's some info about my tank:
It's 33 gallon. (I think it's 3 foot long, and 2 feet high) It houses a pair of clown-fish, a pair of scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp, and a cleanup crew. I mainly have soft corals in my tank. (Ricordea, toadstool, mushrooms, & kenya coral tree), but I also have a wall hammer & gonoporia. I plan on keeping this tank mainly a soft coral & mushroom tank.
I was wondering if anybody had any recommendations for another fish to eventually add. I would kind of like a showcase looking fish (which the CB angelfish was). The clowns mainly stay in a corner and mind their own business. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jay0705

The size of your tank limits your choices. There are a few other types of dwarf angels. My tank its a fox and a CB but your tank is too small for a fox.

I thought about even a flame angel. I had really researched before deciding on the CB angelfish the first time. I had decided that on being the best choice then. But before I invest again, I just want to make sure I'm making the best decision.

jay0705

Ok. A 33 is a bit small. Now is that why it jumped I doubt it. Of the dwarf angels the CB is one of the easier to take care of. The flame tend to be touchier. Off the top of my head tho iam at a loss for a show piece fish for u. I like fire fish but you'd need a couple for them to be noticed

deejeff442

flames are tough to keep .i had a 33 for a qt .it was actually a nice tank as far as dimentions. for smallangels i always like the bicolor.hardy and nice color.sorry for the loss

mr llimpid

Is your tank topless or is there a hole in the back where equipment fits through? Either way I would use egg create to cover the tank or holes. I have had a clown jump at night on me too, lucky for him it landed in my over flow.

My tank is topless. I am trying to figure out a way to put some kind of top on it that still allows room for all my equipment. (The top that came with the tank doesn't allow it). I'm also running a Maxspect Razor, and prefer to keep everything as open as I can. It'll probably be this Fall before I can really start working on a solution for the top of the tank though.
When I first got the angelfish, I had been feeding pretty heavily. I was feeding frozen fish food in the morning, and flakes at night (every day). I was working on cutting the feeding schedule down. This was around the same time the angelfish jumped out. I don't know that it jumped out looking for food, but it's possible I suppose.

scrapman

the six line wrasse is a pretty fish... small for a a small tank. It's out swimming in the open all the time when the lights are on. They say it's a jumper. Mine has never tried anything stupid these last three years!

How is the aggression on the wrasse? It seems like I remember reading a post somewhere about someone saying theirs were aggressive.

foodshape

I would think egg crate would help a lot. Some of the smaller fish have been reported to jump through it though (I suppose some gobies, or subadult grammas or pseudochromis might pull that off, just to guess at a few).
I'm not sure how much equipment you need the top to accommodate, but here is an idea I implemented recently for mine; The top where the led fixture sits is actually 'open'; that and the gaps below/above the door are deliberate to allow for some air circulation by convection, but I would be very surprised if anything short of an eel or an octopus managed to escape or jump out by accident.

Good luck, I am curious to see what you do. When you go DIY you should pretty much be able to design something to suit your needs.

Actually, I got to thinking about the top of my tank, and not sure the egg crate will work. This is the top of my tank. I have a HOB skimmer that takes up a lot of room.

Wow Foodshape! That is really awesome! I'm am not that creative when it comes to DIY. Thankfully my dad can probably build something if I can figure out one that'll work. But that really solved the problem of having a top on the tank and it looking like it was custom made!

I haven't posted a photo of my tank in awhile. I got an order in from Saltwaterfish.com and was really happy. I got the ricordea 10 pack, a red mushroom, blue snowflake, and a random zoanthid. This was my first time ordering from the site, but I was really pleased! This messageboard has been very helpful, and it's nice that the store also is. I live in rural Arkansas, so it's hard for me to get stuff for this hobby.

The tank is young. It's only been going since December 2012. This is my first tank. My plan is to make the tank dark, but then add very bright corals like ricordea and zoanthids to make the tank really pop. I built the tank around that "rock face." It is inspired by the moon in Georges Méliès' "Le Voyage dans la Lune." Most tanks I've seen kind of all look the same. So I'm trying to do something different. I can see it all in my head, and if it keeps progressing, it'll be neat. You should see the photos of the tank when I first purchased it. There has been a lot of progress made. But I live in a rural area, and there are no LFS around. I'd love to buy a frag or two a week. But I usually have to drive 3 hours, so that's why progress is a little slow.

sweatervest13

Slow and steady wins the race!! Nothing wrong with going slow.
I like that you are trying to do something different with your tank. Pretty cool. And your tank is starting to get older. These are all good things.

My next tank will be a large one for sure. My dad has always wanted a fish tank in the wall of the living room. He's talked about it since I was a kid. So I am learning everything I can about it, and one day we will have a several hundred gallon tank for sure.

sweatervest13

Check out edat's 300g in wall build thread. It's a pretty slick system and build, big fish room, frag tank, the whole deal.