CBS aggressive?

hunterdaddy

My tank is 55 gallon. I have about 50 lbs LR with about 15 lbs base rock. I want to keep a variety of shrimp but i was reading in another post that CBS were pretty territorial.

carrie1429

If given enough space and enough territory then the CBS usually won't bother other shrimp. They are pretty territorial when it comes to defending their space, but I think in a 55 gal you could have a CBS with another shrimp or two. I have a CBS, two cleaner shirmp, and three peppermint shrimp in my 100 gal.

bigred

I have a CBS and 2 Cleaners in my 55 gal reef. I use to have 3 cleaners but I think the CBS got one over night. Mine only really comes out at night and his claw span is about 3-4" wide. He's quite a bit bigger then my cleaners. I have had all of them for over a year together so I don't think you will have a problem. Just make sure you ave a spot for him to sit in the shade. He sheads all the time and once in a while he will lose a claw but it grows back. Good luck with your tank.

excite74

My experience with coral banded shrimp was VERY VERY BAD. I bought one and added it to my 55 gal reef which already had 2 very healthy mated and producing cleaner shrimp, and a purple firefish. The coral banded shrimp lived peacefully with all 3 of the others for about a week and a half....Then all of a sudden the purple firefish was dead laying on the sand bed, then both of the shrimp...it was a disaster. I wouldn't trust a CBS with any other shrimp or fish. IMO, HTH

bigred

Well I talked good about my CBS and then he proves me wrong. The damn thing killed one of my cleaners last night. I guess I'll have to catch him tonight and take him to the LFS.:( The cleaner he killed was in my tank for 1.5 years, so he wasn't small.

reefnut

Are you sure the CBS is the culprit? I have a pepperment, CBS & a cleaner. All three stay on the same side of the tank one rock away from each other.

bigred

Here's a pic of my Cleaner Shrimp killer. The mushroom in the background is about a 1 1/4" across to tell how big he is.

S

sinner's girl

we had one cbs, 10 pepermint shrimp and a camel back shrimp (all added at the same time) in the 55gl. the CBS ate all the pepermint shrimp (i know it was him b/c we caught him with the shirmp).
the CBS didn't bother the camel back...in the end the camel back ate the cbs....
the CBS was cool. always on the defensive, if a fish got close to him he put his claws up like he was ready for a fight. very entertarining shrimp.

My cbs took great delight in removing 6 of the 8 legs from my sally lightfoot crab. Needless to say I traded him and got a much smaller version after he killed one of my cleaner shrimp.