CC and LS together?

bonolover

I started my tank 8+ weeks ago. I have a 20 gal that I had 5 lbs LR in. I also started with about 20 lbs of CC. The guy at the LFS told me to add the LS, so I put 10lbs over my CC. It did cause a spike in test levels, but now I'm wondering if I shouldn't have done that. I am up to 9 lbs of LR. Also, I have an ornamental rock in there that I got to create caverns and hiding places. Should I remove this thing and only go with completely LR? Also, is it bad to have CC and LS together? I've been reading several posts were people are talking about converting CC to LS which makes me wonder if I shouldn't mix the two. I have 2 - 4 inches of the CC and another 1 - 2 inches of LS. And thoughts?

y2says

Eventually the CC will go to the bottom. Most people go either one way or the other. I personally have DSB in my reef tanks and CC in my fish only. If you like the way it look, then stay with it. The reason for a DSB is to help break down nitrate which crush corals don't do.

jond

I believe the above post meant to say the sand will work itself to the bottom. All your CC is going to come back to the top. You can make this work, you just are going to need to try to vacuum the CC when it has worked itself to the top, without sucking out all of your sand.
The great advantage to LS other than nitrate reduction, is that you do not vacuum it.