cc, live sand, sump, help

ironsnipes

new saltwater addict, my names daniel live in sunny san diego.
i have a 55 gal tank that has been up and running for a little over three months. i have been on this site everyday for hours at a time. i see alot of pic's of peoples tanks with live sand and or sand as there substrate. i currently have about 4" of c.coral and about 20lbs live arogranite(spell check) on top of that. i eventually want to go reef but am new and trying to learn before jumping into stuff, so my ? is should i ditch the c.c and get more sand? also should i get a sump?
list of current items no pics sorry:
55 gal 36"long 2'wide 36"deep
aquaclear110
cpr bac pac2 w/bio media
35lbs lr w/ 10lbs in q/t
outer orbit 36" on order waiting for delivery pc w/ mh
200w aquaclear heater
should i add power head @ u.v sterilizer?
need some exp please.
fish
3x green chromis
2x occeleris false clowns
flame angel
inverts:
5 turbos
3 margarita
1 cleaner shrimp
1 brittle star
10 blue legged hermits
am i going to fast for my tank?

How many times an hour do you turn the tank over? If you are planning a reef I would suggest a sump if room permits. UV lights are great and help out a lot in the long run. I'm not sure did you say you have a skimmer? Also in reefkeeping, patience is the best advice! Give your tank time to mature before adding much more!

S

shark bait

the coral will become live over time, but can be nasty at keeping waste so make sure you have no dead spots where food can sit and rot. Reef hua, well sump is best as you can add to the sump as you grow and try things, you may over time buy things like a UV, Top off unit, sump skimmer, or even run a berlin sump it's up to you. Sumps give you many options and never a need to turn off the pump to clean the media or do other things.
welcome and enjoy.

dinks

Since I too have a sump and wish to go reef eventually...I am trying to add things slowly....well, we are not going to talk about my maintenace guy..lol
I just started adding LR and getting the dead coral out. Right now my base is a VERY light substrate of CC, so could be easily removed. So light you can see glass...lol
My question.....and yes I looked in the BOOKS! Is if I want use live sand in a sump, will it be my substrate? Is that safe to my sump?
stooopid ? I know, but yeah....lol
dinks