CC or DSB??????????

mr . salty

I am replacing my leaky 125 with a 130 next weekend.So I;m thinking this would be the perfect opertunity to change my CC substrate with a deep sand bed. WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK. Remember that this is a FOWLR and will never be a reef. Will the benafits apply in this tank??? If so,do they justify the expence???I am getting this 130 for free,so if it truly will be better I will change it. Let's hear from everyone-Pro's and con"s. THANKS.

jimi

Thats a tough decision. DSBs are nice and would probably help control high nitrates associated with higher fish loads but from waste and feeding you may have to regularly vaccum the top layer which can be difficult without removing the top layer. What kind of tank are you getting? FREE, WOW!

mr . salty

The tank that is going out is a 125 gallon home made glass tank. It has split a seam,and I have not been able to stop it from spreading apart. I had planned to replace the top rim retainer with a home made aircraft aluminum frame.But then this replacement tank came along. It is comming from a doctors office that is getting a new tank. My lfs is doing the switch,and doesn't want to mess with a used setup. He said he get's these"trade ins" all the time and throws most of them away. So if anyone is looking for another tank,Ask your LFS,or maintenance buisness in town. This replacement also has a cabinet and hood.Not sure if it comes with a filter and other stuff,but knowing this LFS guy he is probably setting this doctor up with an all new system.KEEP THE OPINIONS COMMING. Thanks.

mr . salty

I just did some more studying and figured it would take 200lbs of sand to get a 2 inch bed in my 125.Does this sound right???Found a couple places that ship the southdown tropical sand for $25 for a 50 lb bucket. Another place sells a comparable sand for $20. Just wanted to be sure about the 200lbs before I order the stuff.

mr . salty

Hey guy's,Thanks for all the replys.Lot's of good info here,so here is what I am expecting from this DSB. No more vaccuming the substrate would be a BIG plus. Also,nitrate reduction would be a bonus. As most of you already know I have been waging an all out war on nitrates.Although I have managed to get them down within resonable levels,More reduction would be great. I do fully intend to SEED this new bed.But I was wondering if I could put a screen a couple inches below the surface to keep the sifters out of the lower layers? Like a plenum without the pvc tubes.Anyhow,I am really wanting to do this,but my problem is getting the sand up here in Michigan in time.I would like to do the switch this weekend.By the way,If anyone wants a killer link for 5gallon buckets(50lbs)of southdown,email me.

mr . salty

My thinking is that the screen would serve two purposes.To keep anything from disturbing the anerobic layer of sand,And to give the little creatures a place to hide from sifters.I would like to add a gobie,and maybe a sifting star. But if this would not be practical,then I'll pass on them.

rickt4du

I just want to hear how the switch goes. Take lots of pictures please. Im going to upgrade to a 90 or a 125 in a few months and want your experience to guide me. I remember when you ditched the 40 gal.
...rick