Cell Phones?

bronco300

well i'm in the market for a cell phone...apparently mine may have gotten a surge through it during friday's storms...and now it "runs" EXTREMLY HOT...will black out on me at anytime..and the power off button never works...so i'm looking at new phones...150-250$ range....I'm actually probably going to get an unlocked phone off a site and go that route...any suggestions? My provider right now is centennial...which they carry a blackberry 8100 which i like....and opinions on that phone? or a palm treo 360...I'd like something that i can play videos on if desired..but i'm not technical enough to be able to tell whats good and what is junk...is there a way to tell what phone will work with my provider, i know it needs to be 850 and 1900mhz
thanks in advance!

reefforbrains

The Moto Q line up is always good.
I upgraded a few times to new models already and really like it. No Wi-Fi and no touch screen, but I am rough on my phones so touch screens are too delecate for my tastes

bdhutier

I have a Palm Centro (w/Sprint)... good balance between a blackberry and small phone. I've had no problems yet, and had it around 8mos. My only complaint is Blazer, it sucks as a web browser. I could use mobile Opera, but I don't want to pay for Java Web Sphere. Maybe later...

alohami

I have a BlackBerry Curve that I like a lot. The battery life is good, and reception is a lot better than my old BlackBerry. The only thing is the keyboard is really small. I'm still trying to get used to it, but I don't type on it very much.
I believe you should be okay with any GSM compatible phone. As far as I know, Verizon is the one that's different and is CDMA. You'll want to double check this to be sure, but I think that's how it goes.
Also, you might be able to save a little bit by buying a locked phone and unlocking it yourself. It's really easy to do, and the service I used gives you the unlock code for $20.00. A good company to deal with for that is GSM Phone Source.

bellanavis

I got an nextel i880, now that I figured out how to use it, its great, it does everything, you can even use it as a moden for a computer, it has a camera, camcorder, all kinds of stuff, and I got it for free.

aw2x3

I had Verizon and was using the Motorola V325. Good phone, but the battery kept crapping out on me...had to have it replaced 3 times, due to it swelling. Then, it wouldn't stayed charged for more than 1/2 a day, at the most.
I just switched over to AT&T and got the LG Shine. Pretty cool phone...I like it alot.

J

jrthomas40

i have the tilt...i love it...does a lot of stuff that i still dont know what how to work...you can link your email, download music to the windows media player, out of the music you d/l you can make them your ringtone...i like it because you can change the front screen to keep your appointments, tasks, messenger, text...how ever you want it...only thing i dont like is when actually using the phone is the touch screen keypad a little slow or hard to press if you put the protective screen on...i fat finger numbers all the time so if you are making a call put the number in your speed dial and it is a lot easier to access...i do like how if you start a number it will list all the numbers in your history that start the same and you can double tap the number and it will call it without having to put the whole number in....all in all i am very happy with my phone...if you want i can get the book out to see what all it does but it really is a handheld computer...with mobile internet AND WIFI connection...airplane mode...great phone

J

jrthomas40

forgot to mention...1 negative about the phone is it is kinda bulky for my taste...not a phone on the hip kinda guy rather have it in my pocket but cant really do that with that phone

bronco300

Originally Posted by morval
http:///forum/post/2643383
if ur going on at&t get an iPhone !
iphone is too much for me right now(i know the new ones comign out, but nontheless)
Originally Posted by jrthomas40
http:///forum/post/2643416
i have the tilt...i love it...does a lot of stuff that i still dont know what how to work...you can link your email, download music to the windows media player, out of the music you d/l you can make them your ringtone...i like it because you can change the front screen to keep your appointments, tasks, messenger, text...how ever you want it...only thing i dont like is when actually using the phone is the touch screen keypad a little slow or hard to press if you put the protective screen on...i fat finger numbers all the time so if you are making a call put the number in your speed dial and it is a lot easier to access...i do like how if you start a number it will list all the numbers in your history that start the same and you can double tap the number and it will call it without having to put the whole number in....all in all i am very happy with my phone...if you want i can get the book out to see what all it does but it really is a handheld computer...with mobile internet AND WIFI connection...airplane mode...great phone

Originally Posted by jrthomas40

http:///forum/post/2643424
forgot to mention...1 negative about the phone is it is kinda bulky for my taste...not a phone on the hip kinda guy rather have it in my pocket but cant really do that with that phone

do you know what file ext you need to be able to play videos or movies on that, can it do MP3s?

gmann1139

Originally Posted by Bronco300
http:///forum/post/2643079
well i'm getting the ATT Tilt...does anyone own this phone or know more about it
I was this > < close to getting one.
Only reason I didn't is that the Centro is coming out on VZW tomorrow
, and I'd rather stay with the Palm OS and service I can trust. AT&T has a bad rep here.
Tilt seemed like a good phone. Sales rep had one, so he let me play a little. Was very impressed, although the case/keypad felt 'cheap'.

zsqure

Cell phone? I installed towers for the cellular industry for 5 years from 2000 to 2005 and I tell you I have never put up a Verizon tower in any of the 6 surrounding states or in ohio. Att, Alltell, cingular (formerly voicestream) Nextel, Sprint, Northcoast PCS, I have always recieved some sort of signal while on site and have had the best luck with LG phones, and those that use Qualcomm electronics. I thought Motorola was great until I tried the others and realized they were like american cars "average at best". People will undoubtedly flame me for the last statement but I believe it to be true. I currently use a blackberry pearl and the wifey uses a one also, We had Motorola razors and they were lethargic and not user friendly. I have always had good performance with phones that use qualcomm electronics. I tried cingular for two months last summer and gave the phone away to someone entering the cingular store one day. They have the least dropped calls because they don't get the service when your out in the boonies.

bronco300

how do you download pic messages from people on the tilt? i got a could that says download so i click it and nothing happens?

aquaknight

Originally Posted by zsqure
http:///forum/post/2644727
Cell phone? I installed towers for the cellular industry for 5 years from 2000 to 2005 and I tell you I have never put up a Verizon tower in any of the 6 surrounding states or in ohio. Att, Alltell, cingular (formerly voicestream) Nextel, Sprint, Northcoast PCS, I have always recieved some sort of signal while on site and have had the best luck with LG phones, and those that use Qualcomm electronics. I thought Motorola was great until I tried the others and realized they were like american cars "average at best". People will undoubtedly flame me for the last statement but I believe it to be true. I currently use a blackberry pearl and the wifey uses a one also, We had Motorola razors and they were lethargic and not user friendly. I have always had good performance with phones that use qualcomm electronics. I tried cingular for two months last summer and gave the phone away to someone entering the cingular store one day. They have the least dropped calls because they don't get the service when your out in the boonies.
Right, because if the phones were European cars, they'd be $20,000 more and at best offer one or two features more or be a Japanese car and be so soul-less and bland, it would make eating Vanilla ice cream like consuming an entire bag of Skittles in one mouthful.

nano reefer

Originally Posted by morval
http:///forum/post/2643383
if ur going on at&t get an iPhone !
and wait for the 2nd generation!!! w00t! 16 gigs $300, and it looks way more baller and has a faster internet connection (3G, a cross between EDGE and WiFi)