Cement live rock

sonny

Has anybody ever made their own live rock out of cement? I found instructions on the web for making it, curing it, and seeding it with natural live rock... It takes a long time to make it, but the total cost comes out to about ten cents per pound.
Sonny

fender

I have checked in to that too, and was thinking about making some. I'd like to make a shell to cover my powerheads if nothing else. Accessable from the top but making the PH's almost invisible from horizontal angle.
I looked the other day at Home Depot for some portland cement but they didn't have any. :(
My LFS just got a bunch of pacific branch rock frags that is cool looking, mixing them in with the batch would really give it a natural look.
[ August 10, 2001: Message edited by: fender ]

dburr

I have made it and it has worked out very well. It is getting covered with coraline and I place my new cutting on it. It will soon look just like the real thing. It takes about 6 weeks to cure, you need to test it because it will raise your PH. :eek: LOL

dburr

You must use type I or type II. After it cures it is safe to put in the tank. I had diatoms at first on the rock. This is normal, it soon turned to pink coraline. :) It looks better all the time. Good luck :D