Chaeto Flow????

whyamisofl

I have searched for the last couple days and cannot find a "number" or a turn over rate for a fuge.
I added chaeto to my fuge last night and it really isn't moving. I have heard that it should "tumble", but it does nothing. I have about 500gph going through my fuge and nothing is moving.........
Is there a turnover rate number through the fuge?? I have seriously high trates right now and have already done a 50% water change to help.
Thanks!
(60g tank, 15g fuge, 15g sump)

big

I have over 1000 gph flow over mine. It still is hard to get to tumble. I hand roll mine every day when doing my top off water. If you can point a small PH at it it may help, but that has its pitfalls too, extra heat and the Chaeto will clog the PH intakes......... Try hand rolling it now and then to expose each side to the light....... If there are some trates in your water it will grow quickly with enough light.

natclanwy

A refugium doesn't have a specific number because they will work well with both high flow and low flow.
I have less than 100gph running through my fuge with a small canister filter running carbon circulating in the fuge and my chaeto does well, but I do turn it every week or so and pull it apart so that it isn't densly packed every time I harvest which has been every month or so.

whyamisofl

I just hand rolled it now......it looks as if there is a red algae starting to grow on it! It was all green yesterday

natclanwy

Probably cyano, it grows on mine too once in a while I just rotate the ball and it usually goes away in a couple of weeks.

I have my fuge in my sump and I never tough my cheato. I had about 100 GPH going thru my old fuge and it did great, never rolled or touched it for that matter.