Chaeto

acrylic51

No.......What I was more or less getting at I have an opportunity to get a bit, but the system is no where near ready yet........

2quills

So you're looking for a way to provide nutrient to keep it on hand until your tank is up and running. Perhaps someone here can recommend a good source for ammonia. Thinking there has to be something in a bottle that you can purchase to use as a food source until you get some live stock.
Although I can think of at least one source, and it's free.

acrylic51

I've peed a lot of places, but hadn't thought about a holding tank.....I don't know if the wife would be to thrilled about coming into the fish room finding me peeing in a tank.......
Would eliminate the need to take bathroom breaks while working on the tank though!!!!!!

snakeblitz33

Use a pure ammonia source,... Go to the store!
Or you could empty your skimmer cup from your other tank into it.
Or you could better yet, buy some micro-algae grow from a dealer. That would have all the nutrients plus the trace to keep it alive and growing.
You could also just get a small school of chromis in the tank with it. Chromis are cheap, (and I have no emotional attachment to them)
You could even ghost feed, but chromis would be better.
My skimmer and phos reactor have almost killed back all my chaeto unfortunately. I think I'm goin to take my reactor offline for a while and see if I can get better algal growth.

2quills

Could also probably just pick up a bag of urea. It's pure nitrogen (phosphate free) and water soluble. Used to spray it all the time for my lawn care customers. Grass and plants love it.

spanko

This is used a lot in Phyto growth cultures. This or something like it should be good for a chaeto farm also. If it were me a tank, pump, heater, small aquarium corner filter and a chromis or two. natural fertilizer would be the best IMO. Then you have the fish poop thing, feeding the fish and what gets left over, and of course a light source. Also use prime on some tap water and use it for water changes and top offs. Good source of phosphates there. I would stay away from liquid ammonia and the like as it would be too likely to over dose it IMO.

2quills

Agree that youd have to be carefull with a pure nitrogen source. You can fry some grass or plants with it real quick if youre not careful.

acrylic51

Thanks for the ideas guys!!!!!! Still debating what I'm going to do.....I did find a very good source for macros, and will probably wait it out a bit longer, and purchase from them instead.....Who knows!!!!!!