Chalice feeding??

jong101

So I have my fair share of LPS and all of them have done wonderfully in my mixed reef, everything from galexea to dendro's. However last week I got my first chalice(watermelon) and I have been hoping to feed it at night, but every time I check it doesn't have it's tenticles extended. Coloration is great, am I missing something?

sula

Try puffing some food toward it and waiting 5-10 minutes to see if you get a feeding response - then feed the real meal.

braydonosu

I was actually at my not so local LFS yesterday and he had some chalice frags where you could actually see thier mouths and feeding tenticles - I said that I had never seen mine do that, I could not even distinguish a mouth on mine. He said that it is not very common to see them with their feeding tenticles extended, and that they would not always eat when you put food in the tank. He did say that his is growing very well, so i'm not sure if they have the typical put food in tank - tenticles extend to feed - eating habits.

jong101

i tried what you said and it worked!!!! i put some mysis right on top of one of the eyes and came back 5 minutes later and it was sticking out of his mouth, been feeding him every other day now, and he looks like 30x healthier. Thanks again