Chalk Bass

ophiura

OK, I made an impulse purchase as I piece together my tank. Not really impulse...I know about this fish, but I hadn't though about getting one. I saw him and was in the mood for a fish

I always forget about these little guys when people with tanks under 50g ask about "the last fish."
So far he has been pretty timid and hanging out with my clowns. But I think it will work well.
Anyone else keep them?

stanlalee

dont keep them but they sure look alot better in person then they do in online pictures and they also get pretty darn big for basslets. I considered one but got a royal gramma.

aquaknight

My parents have a pair in their 60. They are believed to be spawning on occasion. Just after lights out they shoot up bellies together, they a couple moments later you see the Anthias and Cardinal zooming for food.
As Stan said, you really have to see them in person to really appreciate them. When they told me they bought a pair of Chalks, I wasn't terribly thrilled, but seeing them in person, they really are a gorgeous/under-respected fish, esp. their large one.
They are fairly hardy. The smaller one randomly gets pop-eye and has been a tooper. (S)He had most of one of it's pectoral fins chewed off by either my Lei trigger or a Southern Puffer doing their move. Was down to meat, and was bleeding, but recovered fully.
Terrible pic, but they're under the Trachy, bottom right:

mace

I have one and was also not really impressed with him/she at the LFS but once he/she came home and was not under any stress the color really popped out. One of my most fav fish next to my Yellow Belly Hippo!

ophiura

I have to say this fish is an uber jumper...even with egg crate it can find the smallest spot. It has jumped several times, thankfully with me around. The other night it jumped twice (once my cat called attention to it...had it swatted it...RIP). Anyway, I thought I would post an update.
It is inevitable that mine will die as a jumper.
Having said that it carpet surfed twice in one night and still ate that night too. Tough little guy.

spanko

Picked one up not long ago. In with a tailspot blenny, two neon gobys, a carpenter's wrasse and a bali tiger jawfish. I love the bass, colorful enoughand a model citizen. no problems thus far.

ppanthrah75

yes definately jumpers 2 out of my 3 jumped without a parachute. the third has been doin great tends to hang out by himself under a little ledge.

ophiura

Incidentally....
He jumped.
RIP :(
In total he probably jumped out at least 5 times when I was near the tank, and obviously once, when I was not...