Change of Plans my 1000 is now 1600

justforfun

As some of you might know I have a 300 to hold my fish while i can move into my new house and was planning on gettig a 120X48X36.
Well plans have changed. Took the wife to the house and she did not like the idea of a big wall tank. She said "Can we just do a Cylindrical in the middle of the room"
I said HELL YEAH. So Wayde and Brett from ATM flew out to my house this morning and took some measurments. I had planned on a 72X72 Cylindrical Aquarium. But wayde told me the Cylindrical Aquarium comes in 72X90 so he has to charge for the 90 height no matter what. So I said lets not cut it and make a 72X90 about 1600 gallons plus sump. The tank will be inside and all equipment will be outside.
Needless to say I am happy. This is by far bigger them my dream tank of 1000 gallons. I should have drawings by Monday to post online. The tank will be done and installed by Dec of this year. I am for sure getting some Black Tips and some big ass fish for this one.
I tend to over stock my tank just a tad. So I cant wait to max out the fish count on this baby.
Any comments or suggestions are welcome.
Here is my 300 that atm built. Still have to put my fish in it from the other house. The 300 will be a reef tank in my new house.
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/261451/my-new-300-gallon-fish-for-now
Here was my 252 from my old house I just sold. But all the fish are still in there. The owner let me keep them until my 300 is fully cycled.
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/187063/my-new-252-g-tank

grumpygils

Originally Posted by justforfun
As some of you might know I have a 300 to hold my fish while i can move into my new house and was planning on gettig a 120X48X36.
Well plans have changed. Took the wife to the house and she did not like the idea of a big wall tank. She said "Can we just do a Cylindrical in the middle of the room"
I said HELL YEAH. So Wayde and Brett from ATM flew out to my house this morning and took some measurments. I had planned on a 72X72 Cylindrical Aquarium. But wayde told me the Cylindrical Aquarium comes in 72X90 so he has to charge for the 90 height no matter what. So I said lets not cut it and make a 72X90 about 1600 gallons plus sump. The tank will be inside and all equipment will be outside.
Needless to say I am happy. This is by far bigger them my dream tank of 1000 gallons. I should have drawings by Monday to post online. The tank will be done and installed by Dec of this year. I am for sure getting some Black Tips and some big ass fish for this one.
I tend to over stock my tank just a tad. So I cant wait to max out the fish count on this baby.
Any comments or suggestions are welcome.
Here is my 300 that atm built. Still have to put my fish in it from the other house. The 300 will be a reef tank in my new house.
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/261451/my-new-300-gallon-fish-for-now
Here was my 252 from my old house I just sold. But all the fish are still in there. The owner let me keep them until my 300 is fully cycled.
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/187063/my-new-252-g-tank
Bump

brenden

Sounds like its going to be quite the tank! However dont mean to burst your bubble but 1600 Gallons is way to small for Blacktip Reefs, they need atleast 15,000 Gallons for life. So if you plan on keeping them for a year or two then go for it, however just be aware you will need to upgrade quite substantially. If you would rather not upgrade I would recommend some Atlantic Smoothounds, active sharks, and would be able to live in your aquarium for life.

reefforbrains

1600 gallons @ 8lbs per= 12,800
Tank probably at least another 400 or thereabouts.
Rock lets just take a stab at 800 lbs
thats a total of roughly 7 tons. And thats with NO sump or stand or misc equip. None too shabby.
Meant to ask you this before. You getting rid of the 300 when done? I would love to have a crack at it when it comes up.

justforfun

Originally Posted by ReefForBrains
1600 gallons @ 8lbs per= 12,800
Tank probably at least another 400 or thereabouts.
Rock lets just take a stab at 800 lbs
thats a total of roughly 7 tons. And thats with NO sump or stand or misc equip. None too shabby.
Meant to ask you this before. You getting rid of the 300 when done? I would love to have a crack at it when it comes up.
I never thougth about selling it. But yeah I really dont need it. I would sell the tank as you see in the pics around middle of december. Not sure on the price yet. But I paid $11,500 from atm with everthing you see. Plus the sand, 500lbs of live rock, and a few other items. Total cost was around $15500.

justforfun

Originally Posted by Brenden
Sounds like its going to be quite the tank! However dont mean to burst your bubble but 1600 Gallons is way to small for Blacktip Reefs, they need atleast 15,000 Gallons for life. So if you plan on keeping them for a year or two then go for it, however just be aware you will need to upgrade quite substantially. If you would rather not upgrade I would recommend some Atlantic Smoothounds, active sharks, and would be able to live in your aquarium for life.

I can get a new one ever 2 years and sell the other one if need be. I have a local guy that has had one for 2 years and is still only 2ft.

S

surfinusa

Originally Posted by justforfun
. I have a local guy that has had one for 2 years and is still only 2ft.
thats not good

justforfun

Originally Posted by autofreak44
how much for admission, i wanna see (seriously though i wanna check it out)

HAHA. For what I am spending could be a big ticket price.
Nah, you can look for free.

brenden

Justforfun - Getting one every two years may sound easy, but its not ethical for the shark you will be trying to get rid off. Who is going to take it? Public Aquariums most likely will not, and 99.9% of aquarists do not have the system to ethically hold one for life. I know you would like a BlackTip Reef but please do your self and the shark a favour and re-think it over.

chankanaab

Just for fun,
I was looking at your old 300g post. The fake coral you bought is from a place near lax? Can you give me the name I am looking to get corals for my 100g fish only. Also when your 1600g is done I am willing to put my scuba gear on and clean the inside walls!!!

justforfun

Originally Posted by Chankanaab
Just for fun,
I was looking at your old 300g post. The fake coral you bought is from a place near lax? Can you give me the name I am looking to get corals for my 100g fish only. Also when your 1600g is done I am willing to put my scuba gear on and clean the inside walls!!!

The place I got to is not for retail. You have to have a account set up already for wholesale.

lesleybird

So what do you do? Put on your scuba gear to clean out the tank? How do you do partial water changes on 1600 gallons?