changing bio

skull69

when should you change the bio media in your sump and is there something better than others to use in your sump. Plus I'd like to know if I should put something else in my sump with the bio they do not tell you much about the sump when you buy them on line. It is a CPR 1000

thangbom

im not shure of what your talking about when u say 'change bio' u mean bio-media as in bio-balls?? well if that is the case u dont change them.. u just take out 25% of the bio media and rinse them out and put them back in.. u do this maybe 2x a year..

skull69

Hello ThaNgBom
Yes I did mean the bio media I did edit my post but it didn't show. My sump didn't come with bio ball it like strips of something I guess I should think about getting bio balls for it.
thank you for the info

thangbom

almost anything cango in a sump to be exact.. there are plenty of di. types of bio media.. there are bio-ball,bio-cubes,and whole buch more.. even thingie that look like plastic stripes or shavings. anyhow.. inmy sump i have a skimmer and a metal heater w/bio-balls.. it's like the same thing as putting them in the display tank..just that it's in a hidden place leaving the display tank looking neat w/no equipment..

dmc888

Most wetdrys come with bioballs.
Some people like to add live rocks instead.
Bioballs work for me.
But some people hate them claiming they are nitrate factories .
Most that i notice say that never flushed them out .