Changing bulbs

lm

I have 110 vho lights (super actinic & actinic whites), they are 2 yrs old and I am going to replace them with the same lights. What is the best way to change these bulbs without creating an algea bloom? I know the intensity will be so much more and I am worried it will create a bloom, I currently have no issues except the lights are 2 yrs old.

C

cust11

Change out all of your bulbs and raise the fixture higher from your tank. Slowly lower it over the period of 1-2 weeks back down to your normal height. That should re-acclimate your tank to your now new, fresh bulbs.

lm

I cannot raise my bulbs, they are in my canopy that sets directly on top of my tank. Is there a way to change certain bulbs 1 at a time till all new ones are in and have replaced all my old bulbs? And if so which bulbs do you change first and how long should I take to change them??

C

cust11

Originally Posted by NaClH2O Nut
http:///forum/post/2986434
Reduce the time the bulbs are on.
That and change one at a time. It doesn't really matter which one you change first but I would suggest changing daylight:actinic in a 1:1 ratio

lm

If I change them 1 at a time how much time should I take to get all 4 changed??

reefraff

I change one every few days just so you arent blasting the critters with a ton of new intensity all at once. As long as your water parameters are good new fluorescents probably have less tendency to spark algae growth than the old ones.