changing carbon

A

angelofdeath132

when i change the carbon pads in my emperor 400, should i just take the whole filter off the tank and thoroughly clean it out, or just change the carbon? if i clean out the entire thing should i use fresh or salt water to do so?

nacl-h2o

Just change the carbon, but it will need to be cleaned out thuroughly every once in a while. And FW water will be fine.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
What else is in the filter? If you don't clean out these filters pretty frequently they become biological filters rather than mechanical, and then can possibly create a nitrate problem. Do you have nitrates?

lnarobbins

I have two emperors on my 90g I change the carbon once a month and clean the media containers also. it says you can add extra carbon and stuff in the containers but I dont. I also clean the outside and clean out the spray bar assembly.
thats what I do
Alan

jlem

Beth. How can the filter become a nitrate problem. Will the filter create more nitrates than the tank will. I agree that stuff that may decompose in the filter will eventualy turn to nitrate, but it would turn to nitrate in the tank anyways. I think a good cleaning when you change the pads is good maintenance, and leads to a healthier tank by removing stuff from the tank before it decomposes. But I don't think that not cleaning it will cause any higher nitrates than the tank itself. The filter has biowheels for biological filtration.

nacl-h2o

A filter will not cause a nitrate problem. If you use a mesh media it will have to be cleaned often. But if you only use carbon or something simular you would change as needed, but you would not have to clean the hole filter every time you change media. If you cleaned or removed the filter the bacteria would just grow elsewhere in the system. Bacterial populations will fluctuate based on the nutients going in the system, where they grow in your system is irrelevant. Nitrate problems are usually caused by heavy bio-load and or over feeding. You have to have a balance between the nutrients going in your tank(food of various types) and the nutrients coming out(via a DSB, plenium, refugium, algae scrubber, water changes, skimmers, etc..). When you have more going in than coming out you get excess nitrates and it has nothing to do with filters, bio-balls or any other surface where bacteria will grow.

S

sandy

I don't yet have a 4" DSB, but I'm growing ever closer. I do have over 80lbs established LR in a 50 gal long. Until I have a better skimmer and maybe a sump, I have a Fluval. Removes gunk great. I clean it out once a week with my water change, rinsing media in saltwater. I change the carbon about once a month or so. Just decreased my bio-load (Tang to new home). I'm looking forward to less nitrAtes.