Changing from cc to DSB

fishtails

I am thinking about changing from cc to a 3-4"DSB for my tank,but my ques.are:How easy is it?Will I need to move my fish,corals,lr,etc..?I don't have a qt. tank so would a rubber-made bucket be o.k.?How long will it take for the water to clear up?Also any other info. that I would need to know.I'm thinking about using either the new Agra-alive live fiji-pink sand or Natures Ocean live agaronite sand but which is best?Any additional info will also be appreciated.Alex

stacy

You will need to remove everything from the tank. Drain some of the tank water into rubbermaid containers. Put LR, fish, and corals into container(s). Would also be a good idea to add an air stone into the containers. Next remove all the CC from the tank. Then add the LS. I used the natures ocean sand myself. It took a couple of hrs. for my tank to clear up. Also what do you have for filtration? If you have an ugf than that will need to be replaced with another form of filtration. After the change you can place your livestock, and LR back into the tank. Also you should probably have some premixed replacement water to add back to the tank, and discard some of the other water that you drained out.

new

getting ready to do this myself to remove ugf :( . gonna remove all water without stirring anything up, move live stock and rocks into the barrel of water with a powersweep remove the ugf, place plastic on the sand then refill tank and put livestock back, nothing to it :) . wish i had known ugf was bad at start but bad advice and no research :(

S

starfishjackedme

I am thinking about doing that too, but i have a 200 and need about 300-400lbs of sand. I might just do the play sand thing and use a kiddie pool from Walmart for my fish/corals.

ed r

Check out the Sandbed Swap article in this link.
<a href="http://fishwhisperer.homestead.com/articles.html" target="_blank">http://fishwhisperer.homestead.com/articles.html</a>
I followed it during my change-over a week and a half ago. It went pretty well. The key is to be prepared and plan everything out ahead of time. I would also suggest having your tubs for fish or corals set up well with heaters, powerheads, and even some type of light, in case you need to leave the livestock in there over a night or two. I chose not to rinse all of my new dry sand in order to save the fine sediments. This greatly compounded the problem of cloudy water. There was zero visibility for the first day and about 2-3 inches the next. I returned my live rocks, snails, brittle star, five mini hermit crabs, and conchs to the cloudy water the first night, but I left my corals in the tub until the end of the third day. I could just see the rock in the back of the tank after three full days. I had no fish to return as I lost the only two I had to a mistake during the swap. Other than that foul-up all of my corals and creatures survived. I had been warned to watch for a possible mini-cycle, but with my low bioload that never materialized. I still recommend testing your water every day following the swap and be prepared to change additional water if ammonia or nitrite begin to rise. My water now is crystal clear. I am glad I undertook the swap, but it is a lot of work and one very long day. Good luck.

stacy

You want to be carefull replacing your UGF. If this is your main source of filtration you need to have another filtration system in place and working before removing the UGF. Give it time to take the load off of your UGF. If not you will be starting you cycle process all over. Also Ed a very good point of checking the water params for at least a week or 2 to make sure that everything is in check.

tiffbritty

i changed mine over last friday. i put the fish and live rock in a 10 gal. overnight while the tank settled a little. put evreything back in next morning . my tank is almost clear still a llittle cloudy. i used 300 lbs of southdown tropical play sand and 20 lbs of live sand. i know i should of used more but $ held me back. the fish seem to love it and i do too .just wish i did this when i first set up my tank. lots of luck. :)