changing tank from freshwater to a seahorse tank!

I am working on changing over my freshwater tank to a saltwater seahorse tank. I have other saltwater tanks already. I am so happy to be making a home for seahorses. I have dreamed of doing this for years and want to begin the process now. The tank is a 55 gallon. My first, and I am sure not last, question is what would be the best way to change over the tank. Once I empty the tank should I just dry it and start the set up for saltwater by adding the sand and water or should I do something else like bleach it first? What does everyone think?
Also, I would like to use a black substrate, what brand do you all recommend?

teresaq

Hi, a 55 is a great size. I would bleach the tank to get rid of everything, declorinate and let it dry good.
Dont really know brand names of the black sand.
What species of horses are you looking at.
T

reefnutpa

CaribSea makes a Black Tahitian Moon Sand that is jet black. Do NOT use the marine sand used by Estes. It is too light in weight and powder-like and floats/blows all over the tank.
Tom

Originally Posted by ReefNutPA
http:///forum/post/2919737
CaribSea makes a Black Tahitian Moon Sand that is jet black. Do NOT use the marine sand used by Estes. It is too light in weight and powder-like and floats/blows all over the tank.
Tom
I will check that out, great advise on that Estes sand, definately want to avod that.

teresaq

I would say 3 or 4 pairs for your size tank. Please be sure not to mix species unless they are from the same source or breeder. Only buy captive bred and always but from the same source. I know reptative but buying from differant places can spread differant pathegens to your horses.
T
Where in Florida are you??

Wow, that will be great to have that many in there. What about liverock, I have read really mixed things about having that, I was planning on not, but just wanted to make sure I understood the best way. Do you have any breeders you would recommend or species you like best? I haven't seen too many in person, mostly in books and photos. Our area is really low in the fish stores...
I live near Destin in the Panhandle.

teresaq

I have live rock and I think most people here do. Just not more then 1 lb per gallon. I started with dead rock for the most part though. That way you dont get unwanted hitchhickers. Dead rock will become live soon enough. Its the bacteria you want not the critters.
As for species that is personal preferance. I like Southern Erectus. I love thier look and they come in many colors. Thier fry are also among the easiest to raise though none are that easy.
TeresaQ